Do you limit the amount of time your children spend watching tv, on the computer or playing video games?

I used to and as teens they do not spend an abundance amount of time doing any one of these activities. They are active and doing other things as well.

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 8:16 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• I did with my boys and I do with my grandkids. If the TV is off my granddaughter will reading, do puzzles, play games, go outside...but if it is on she is front and center. I leave it off a lot. In fact we are considering getting rid of the TV in the family room altogether.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:20 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Yes. Very much so. The TV is called our Electronic Babysitter. If I am sick, they get to watch tv while I nap. That's about it. Regular TV watching is limited to a couple hours on Weekends, and on very rare occasions, during weekdays.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 8:20 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Within reason, but I'm not rabid about it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:21 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• God yes...My 2 1/2 yo DS NEVER watched before age 2. Now he gets 2 shows in the AM and must EARN his evening 2 and that is all
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• my three boys would stare at it all day if I let them. We have never been big on electronics. Once I unplugged the cable and told them it was broken because I was tired of competing with the TV
    It was great how they found games to play and forts to build. It was "broken " for about aweek before anybody said anything.
    curioschatter

Answer by curioschatter at 8:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Not at all. My kids can watch all the TV or Games they want to... Our TV is on all day, and generally, the kids are running from room to room, jumping on the bed or playing outside... I've never had an issue with them being less active because of the TV, if anything I wish they would watch more, at least that would mean quiet and less mess...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:12 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• somewhat. My DD is 3. I feel that as long as tv/internet time is balanced with learning/play/cuddle time, then it does not matter the exact amount.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:22 AM on Oct. 25, 2010