Does Legal Aid really work?

Have any of you ever used Legal Aid? I am thinking about using them to fight for custody... if so are they any good?

patsymay84

Asked by patsymay84 at 8:27 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• i HOPE they do, i am starting with them now, to get custody of my daughter when i leave this abusive relationship. My prayers are with you...I hope you get custody!!
    me221

Answer by me221 at 8:41 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Yes, yes, and yes. Well, at least the legal aide in Michigan. My mom's bff had to use them to fight for her SSI, and my friend had to use them to fight for sole custody of her son. That's two instances where I know someone had to use them and they came through!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 8:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I haven't used it, but I know several people who have and they had great results, just slightly slower than if they had been able to get their own lawyer and whatnot. I know someone who used it for divorce and everything worked out well for her, and she's using it now (I think, but if she isn't she will be very soon) to fight for custody of her children who are currently in the care of her mother. I've heard nothing but good things about it.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:36 AM on Oct. 25, 2010