at a loss for what else i can do for this girl. please someone tell me im forgetting something?

my 22 month old wheezes the first day of a cold everytime she's sick. lately with the cold weather approaching she's been getting sick like once a month, and this month she was sick on the 4th and came down with something yesterday. she was wheezing slightly when i put her to bed last night, nothing serious at all. then, at midnight she was awake and sounded terrible. my poor baby was literally awake all night, i gave her breathing treatments but they only relieve her symptoms for an hour. today she only slept 3 hours, after going all night with no sleep. tonight, i gave her a warm bath, rubbed her down in vics, gave her a treatment and put her to bed at 7. it's now 9 and she woke up crying and her chest is pulling when she breathes. i have 2 other kids and im alone so i cant rush to the er, and i dont think its that serious, she's just uncomfortable and cant sleep. what else can i do for her? we both need sleep! :(

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:02 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she's retracting she needs to go to the ER. Meaning, if you see the space between her ribs sucking in when she is taking a breath, that is called retracting. It's definitely possible that she has pneumonia. Not to scare you, but my son had it, he seemed fine, I just thought it was a bad cold, took him to Urgent Care because it wasn't going away, they ended up hospitalizing him for a few days because his oxygen was low.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I have breathing problems and vics makes me feel like I'm suffocating.
    My husband puts a vics vaporizer with just water and a pinch of salt in our girls room when they are sick - again that would make me feel like I was suffocating but it seems to help them.
    If you don't have a vaporizer, take her pillow and blankets into the bathroom and start the shower.
    For me the only thing that helps is tons of air - cold air. If it were me, I'd open the window and bundle up. The cold air would make me feel like I was getting more O2.

Probably try the vaporizer first, if that doesn't work, bundle her up and open a window just a little. If you don't think it's serious then one of those is bound to work.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Honestly, it does sound like she needs to go in to be seen for a neb treatment... But since that isn't an option right now, I would keep her slightly elevated and open a window to let some cold air in.
    AllNaturalMum

Answer by AllNaturalMum at 9:15 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Try putting the vics on her feet and then put socks on and put her to bed. It works for a cough, I don't know if it will work for lung issues. Call your doctor and make an appt just in case it is something else. Try sleeping in a rocking chair or upright with her on your chest in bed with pillows behind you. It won't make for a comfortable night but you both will get some sleep.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 9:27 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• PS. you know you're going to have to keep us posted - right?
    If not, we'll start to worry. Let us know what works or if there are any other symptoms.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:29 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• thanks ladies. i did try the vics thing on her feet and it did help with the cough, she's still coughing slightly but not as bad, and i think the vics on the feet helped her there. i do have a vaporizer, i was just scared to try it because she shares a room with my 9 month old, so im going to bunk with her in my room and fire up the vaporizer. i also called the on-call physician at her doctor's office (i know they're gonna hate me lol) but i atleast want to explain what's going on and get her medical opinion whether or not she needs some type of care now. the neb treatments she's been getting every 4 hours and it should've done something by now. if anything my lazy mother in law will have to come over and stay (more like sleep since the others are asleep) here while i run her to the er or urgent care. again thank you! oh and i have my ac turned down.. hopefully the cold air will help her!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• momma, she actually was this morning. since she had NO sleep last night i made her lay down this morning, checked on her an hour later and her chest looked like a balloon inflating and deflating at a rapid speed. it scared the hell out of me. i packed up all the kids and drove half an hour away to my moms, where i was going to leave my other two with her and rush my baby to the er, but it stopped when she woke up, and we just kept a close eye on her while at my mom's. i think she struggles in her sleep.. and that is why she's not getting any.. i really hope the on-call doctor calls me back soon. my oldest was born retracting, spent 5 days in the nicu and went back with pneumonia at 2 months old and was hospitalized for a week! it is definitely scary and im praying this is not the case with her. if i dont hear anything soon i think i will be better safe than sorry and just take her in and call my mom in law who lives 5 min away
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2010