We got a kitten for my son for his birthday. Question inside..

We already have two grown cats. Hunter sisters. :) We love them. One of them has made it clear she doesn't like our new addition. The other one has just gone outside. We haven't seen her in a couple hours.
Has this ever happened to you? Did they eventually come around?

Whatkids

Asked by Whatkids at 9:38 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Pets

• They may come to love it,or just tolerate it.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• They will get over it and figure how to live together.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• You need to introduce them slowly. Start out by locking the new kitten in a room (one you obviously will visit often) so that the others know he is around and are aware of his presence, but they don't have him directly in front of them. After a day or two, start bringing him out a little more for them to see. After about two weeks, you will know whether they are going to accept him or not and can have him out and around them all the time. Be careful though, because he is a new presence in their territory and will pose a threat to them at first. It can start fights.
    Lizzys_mommy13

Answer by Lizzys_mommy13 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It's a good thing they didn't attack her. Yes, they will eventually come around. They all have to find their places in the new arrangement. It could start fights so don't leave the kitten unprotected for a couple of weeks. It happens everytime I get a new cat. I put the new cat in the basement because that is where the food, water, and litter are to keep the dogs out of it. The new cat usually lives on the duct work for a little while (sometimes a month or more) and then they all learn to get along.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 9:50 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• We did think a lot about this. We are keeping him in the bathroom until he is older. He is only six weeks. We take him out only accompanied by one of us. We have two dogs too who would kill him (not purposefully, but they are terriers and he is a little rat like thing...)
    Thank you for your input.
    Whatkids

Comment by Whatkids (original poster) at 10:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• They will eventually come around. I have 4 cats (I have a zoo, seriously) and my oldest cat doesn't really like anyone but me and my husband but she tolerates them. they know shes the boss and don't bother her so much. But it takes time.
    prettypaper

Answer by prettypaper at 10:11 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• We brought a new kitten into the home recently and our 3 cats all acted differently. One didn't care and now plays with him. The other 3 didn't care for him.One would not get near him but after 2 months she is coming around. It may just take a while
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Pet your older cats, then, without washing your hands, pet the new kitten and vice versa. This helps to create a common smell and speed the process of your cats accepting the kitten as part of the family group and not an invader. Also, petting your cats frequently and giving them treats will reassure them that they are still important and that the kitten is not a threat to their home.
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 5:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• its a stranger in the camp lol give them time
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2010