How many times a week do you let your kid have sugar?

I try to stay away from sugar.

colepip2

Asked by colepip2 at 9:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• 7

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• kinda hard for them not to have some sugar. they eat at school all week. and somethins are bound to have sugar in it. my kids are healthy so i have no problem with it
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 9:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• 7 days a week, it's all about moderation and he is 14 so how would I stop him?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I don't have a number of times in mind but in a typical day they do not get any sugar. Now today we did caramel apples so we will share one of those together.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• pretty much daily. My kids don't have reactions to sugar (or as my sister tells me "I don't use that as an excuse for their behavior - if their rotten kids it's because I'm doing something wrong" lol)

However, my kids are 6 and 3 and pretty much eat only fruits and vegetables, so there isn’t much need to keep sugar from them.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:01 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I agree with Tyfry7496 “moderation” is the key.

People are always saying how they limit their child’s sugar intake, but they have no idea what they are eating. There is natural sugar in fruit! Ever look at a regular jar of pasta sauce? It’s full of it. Sugarless gum - that’s laughable. It’s even in processed meat, most people have no idea how much sugar they are consuming.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:12 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My kid generally gets 1 or 2 sugar treat a week. He's 2 1/2. This said I will remind you of all the things that have added uness sugar that kids eat. Flavored yogurts, juice, fruit snacks, cereals, spplesauce, jelly etc. I try to buy plain yogurt and puree fruit and add it with honey, no juice, cereals with less than 5g of sugar, no added sugar applesauces, fruit spreads and fruit leathers. It is possible to reduce this sugar but you have to be concious and read labels. Just a reminder that just because you aren't giving candy, cookies or soada doesn't meant they aren't consuming a ton of sugar
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Seven. And it's not always junk... there is sugar in most things. Peanut butter... spaghetti sauce... fruit.... juice... yogurt.... they all contain some sugar, even if it's natural sugar in the case of fruit. The kids don't get things like pop or chocolate every day, but it's pretty hard to avoid sugar completely.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:34 AM on Oct. 25, 2010