• In the Spotlight:

Birth Control Pill - Yasmin

Do you find you have to pee more on it or any type?

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Health

• I was on Yasmin briefly before I had life threatening complications from it. I ended with with DVT, blood clots in the leg. I don't recommend anyone to use Yas or Yasmin as both have a higher rate of forming clots. Just be careful and be aware of the warning signs of DVT.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:14 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• With Yaz, I had a TON of problems. I eventually ended up pregnant on it. I was on ortho-tri-cyclin before it and loved it, and am now on it again. Peeing was not one of my issues on it though.
    Lizzys_mommy13

Answer by Lizzys_mommy13 at 9:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Yasmin is different from Yaz, but I think they're produced by the same pharmaceutical company. I think that progestin only birth controls make me need to pee more. Thankfully, I'll be back on Yasmin by the end of the week, now that the dreadful shot is wearing off. Progestin birth controls and my body do not play nicely with one another. They make me feel like I'm pregnant, and I have horrible side effects.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:11 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I don't believe the US medical authorities are reporting the facts appropriately. Once you look at the stats that are coming from the European medical authorities and the European version of the facts insert, there is a huge difference in the risk of blood clots. In fact there is a class action suit against Yas and Yasmin in this country because of this difference in reporting the numbers. You are right that there is a risk of clots from any hormonal pill, not just BC. Both of those BC pills carry a higher risk even compared to the old standard of ortho-tri-cyclin, as reported by their own inserts.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 6:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• http://www.webmd.com/dvt/deep-vein-thrombosis-dvt-symptoms-diagnosis

Half of all DVT cases cause no symptoms. If you do have any of the DVT symptoms below -- especially if they occur suddenly -- call your doctor right away:

• Swelling in one or both legs

• Pain or tenderness in one or both legs, which may occur only while standing or walking

• Warmth in the skin of the affected leg

• Red or discolored skin in the affected leg

• Visible surface veins

• Leg fatigue

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 6:38 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• If a blood clot breaks free and travels to your lungs it's called a pulmonary embolism, and it can be fatal. Pulmonary embolism may not cause symptoms, but if you ever suffer sudden coughing, which may bring up blood; sharp chest pain; rapid breathing or shortness of breath; or severe lightheadedness, call 911 or go to an emergency room immediately.
    isabellalecour

• The one thing they didn't list, is having pain in just flexing your foot up and down and putting weight on it. I caught mine just by the feeling in the calf, the extra warmth in the area and was in the ER before any major pain occurred. I had been well schooled in DVT symptoms just three months before because on the extended bed-rest I had while pregnant. That education saved my life.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 6:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yaz IS Yasmine.
    Lizzys_mommy13

Answer by Lizzys_mommy13 at 10:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I think Yaz is different from Yasmin? thats a drag.
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My Dr. mentioned to me the chances of blood clots but I think the risk is much greater if you are a smoker and if not I believe she said its a 4 or 6% chance of it happening and that Yasmin is one of the better BC pills out there right now. She did NOT recommend Yaz. I think there is the chance of blood clots with alot of the BC pills not just Yasmin. What are the symptoms of leg clots - anyone?
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Oct. 25, 2010