How much is too much to spend on Christmas for a 1 yr old?

My husband only wants to spend around 100 dollars but I want to spend more. Last year we really didnt get him nothing and for his birthday he only got five toys for us and no one gave him anything.

How much would you spend? No more then 1,000 dollars though

donamunns

Asked by donamunns at 10:02 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Holidays

• I am with your husband. I would actually spend less than $100. I mean he is a baby, he doesn't want or need anything. Take the money and put it in a college account, THAT he will appreciate when he is older.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:04 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• i really wouldnt put a limit on it. i would just go out and buy what i wanted to get him. toys, trucks, clothes.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:04 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Now I dont want to go out and spend over a 1,000 dollars but it wouldnt be just toys it would be clothes, sippy cups, plates other little thing too. I just feel bad he didnt get nothing last year and didnt really get anything for his birthday.
    donamunns

Comment by donamunns (original poster) at 10:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• WOW! Not even close to $1000! My dd is one and she will probably stay under $100. At this age, they grow out of things so quickly. Clothes, toys.. all of it will be outgrown within 6 months or so.
    Lizzys_mommy13

Answer by Lizzys_mommy13 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Whatever is in the budget for you to spend. If you want to go all out, do it. But as a mom, I'd buy toys that can grow with them, toys that you can get some good use out of. =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Kids want love and encouragement more than anything. They want to belong and they need stimulation. They don't need 3,000 toys to distract them every day of their life. They don't need cake and ice cream and soda either. My sister loaded her kids up with tons of presents for every holiday. Nothing is of any special value when you have everything. They destroyed every toy by playing too rough or just losing them. My husband and I were cutting their bushes back one day and found over 75 abandoned toys hiding there that they had forgotten all about. They were thrilled and proceeded to break every one of them by throwing them at each other, on the cement driveway or on the roof. Wasted money in my opinion. You can't buy your kids love. Why spend more than ten or twenty bucks on something he's not even gonna remember??
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 10:32 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• We'll probably spend around $200 on our one year old. When he's older I'm sure it will be more, but at this age, he's more interested in the box than what's in it, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It depends on your finances. Can you only afford $100? Or can you easily afford $1000? It's not for anyone here to tell you, it's about what you can afford and what you desire. I vote for spending less, because he'll look back at pictures when he's older, and if you spend $1000 now and can only afford $100 when he's 10, he's going to ask what the heck is going on. If spending more puts you into debt, just don't do it.
    Anonymous

• He's 1. He's probably not going to even notice if it's 10 presents or 20. I say go with $100 or $150 and no more than that.
    Anonymous

• I say $100 is probably enough. If it were me, I'd go with stuff he can "grow" into. Stuff he could use now and also later, stuff that he can learn from, that encourages him to use his fine motor skills or something in that nature. For my dd's 2nd Christmas we bought her a "Jump and Spin Zebra" It's like a horse that you can ride, bounce, and it spins around, it has some lights and sounds, too. She is now 4 (going on her 5th Christmas) and STILL uses that zebra! I don't think they make the zebra anymore but I think they are a turtle that is similar...
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 1:49 AM on Oct. 25, 2010