I want to make a soup,will it turn out just as good if I don't use a crock pot it's a crock pot recipe

I need to make a soup for a church function but I don't have a crock pot.Isn't a crock pot just a fancy way to cook for you when you don't have time or does it really make a soup taste good.I'm going to make oriental pork soup,the broth is from a can and all I do is add fresh mushrooms,bean sprouts or these can be from a can too,fresh carots,green onion,garlic and ground pork.The crock pot directions is to cook the soup for 7-8 hours on low temp or 3-4 hours on high temp.I don't understand why a simple soup like this has to cook for so long.So I want to make the soup without using a crock pot,do you think it will taste just as good

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You can probably google it and find stove top instructions as well. We make beef stew in a crock pot and it takes 6-7 hours, but we also do it on the stove sometimes and it only takes 1-2 hours. :)
    Lizzys_mommy13

Answer by Lizzys_mommy13 at 10:05 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It would not take nearly as long on the stove. Probably a half hour if that.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It does add more depth of flavor to the broth to do it in a crock pot, but you can do it stovetop too. You will just probably need more liquid, since the liquid on the stovetop will evaporate a lot quicker than it does in the crockpot.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• If you have an oven-safe pot or pan that's big enough to hold it all, put it in there in the oven at about 250 degrees - it'll work the same as a crock pot would. I'm guessing 4 hours. You could cook it on the stove on low heat too, but you'd have to stir it more often, and the flavors might not marry as well.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I don't see why it would change the taste too much. Google search it for non-crock pot directions.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:51 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• You can do it on the stove top. The only difference is that the crockpot cooks very slowly, for a long time, and uses less liquid. So, you will need to add more liquid, bring the soup to a simmer, and cook over a low heat, but I think it would only take about an hour, you can test the veggies for doneness.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It won't take nearly as long on the stove, but you will definitely need to allow it to simmer on low for quite a while. One of the benefits of the slow cooking of the crockpot is that it gives the flavors plenty of time to meld together. If you shorten the cooking time too much, your end product likely won't be as flavorful and delicious!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2010