When did you start your baby on a sippy cup?

I read today that you should start your baby on a sippy cup at 6 months. That seems so young for my little one! When did you start?

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 10:31 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started at 6 months. She couldn't figure out that she needed to tip the cup though (which I hear is common) so I switched her at 7 months to one with a straw. She figured it out quickly, and is doing great with the cup now at 15 months. :)
    Lizzys_mommy13

Answer by Lizzys_mommy13 at 10:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Lizzsy mommy 13- had you already started her on solids?

I tried to introduce solids to my son a month ago (he's almost 6 months) and haha...he definitely wasn't ready.
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• lol You oldest I waited and waited and waited. My youngest - birth!
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• i started at 6 months, with just water in it. i only really gave it to him while he was sitting in his swing because he was able to hold it like that. or i would hold it up for him so he could drink some. i would just give it to him sometimes so that he would eventually learn.
    he started solids at 4 and a half months. you might think hes not ready but, thats just because hes not used to it. you have to keep offering it every day and after a few weeks he will start to like it. making choo choo and plane noises helps also, and clapping and saying yay and just making it a happy thing. also, make sure the rice cereal is warm and mixed with fruit so that it tastes good.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:42 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I think 9ish months for fun, but i think it was a year that he really understood. On his second birthday i bought him big boy cups and that going pretty well (for the carpet cleaning companies)
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Yes. I started her on solids at 4 months under doctors orders because she was bfing so much that I was getting tired, and she was throwing up but still hungry. We started her out slow though. In the morning she would get a little bit of cereal mixed with breastmilk (there are instructions on the side of the box for starting solids). We did that for about two weeks then added in a little at dinner time too. By 6 months she was getting 3 meals a day of the cereal. Then we started adding in fruits and veggies to her diet. Meats I didn't add in until 8 months and then eventually she went to our normal foods at 10 months because she wanted them. Thats when she stopped bfing and went on solids all together with some pumped milk. Now she gets 3 meals a day with snacks whenever she says she is hungry. She is 15 months old. Her snacks are generally a cheese stick, raisins, some fruit and the occasional gold fish crackers. :)
    Lizzys_mommy13

Answer by Lizzys_mommy13 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Around 5 months, just to get them used to it, to make the transition easier when they got around a year. It worked well - one of mine self-weaned from the bottle at 9 months, the others were between a year & 16 months.
    Anonymous

• I started my dd on one at 5 months. I had to start back to work, and couldn't be available to nurse her on demand, and she refused to take my breast milk out of a bottle. I started her with the soft spouted ones, and she did very well with them.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 10:55 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I think it depends greatly on how many kids you have and in what order they fall into.
    I was scared to death to put my oldest on solids, my youngest started cereal at 2 weeks. When I told her DR she asked "and how is that working" I told her fine and that was the end of it.
    Every kid is different, don't worry about it if your child doesn't really "get" the sippy until they are older, there is a good chance your kid "gets it" when it comes to something else that someone else kid didn't "get" at this age.
    It's not a race to see who's kid can do what first.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 11:11 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I tried at 6 months, but they didn't take it till 8 or so months
    begamom

Answer by begamom at 11:16 PM on Oct. 24, 2010