If you have a minivan (or an SUV with 3rd row) and just one or two kids, why?

Just curious! I'm trying to figure out what kind of vehicle I want to buy, and I have two kids. Part of me wants to have something big enough that we can take friends along with us, or tote Grandma along for a picnic, but sometimes I wonder if I'd prefer something smaller. So what's your reason? What are the pros and cons?

sojourner.

Asked by sojourner. at 10:37 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Well I am thinking of getting a 3rd rows eeting SUV so my daughters can each take at least friend with them somewhere if they ever want a friend to come a long.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Total gas guzzler. High insurance rates, like $200 a month on ours! We got rid of it. I have four kids and I drive a large 4 door sedan. I don't have a ton of extra people to cart around. And my family is rareley in my car all at the same time.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• So others can come with us... not just my husband kids and I. So we can have 1 to 2 more people plus we cave some storage. I hate little cars. It makes me mad when they wont fit my stroller and all my grocerys ;)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Wow, sorry for the spelling. lol
    kiansmom0423

• We have two kids and two Honda Odysseys. One is for my husband's work, and one is our family vehicle. I LOVE my van! I love the remote sliding doors because they are convenient and I never have to struggle with the kids and stuff I'm carrying. Another plus is that I never have to worry about the kids swinging a door out into another car because the sliding doors are so close to the car. We also take a lot of road trips to California and it's so comfortable with all of our stuff and our family and room to spread out. The extra cargo space makes it really easy to haul all of our sports equipment and do grocery shopping and everything without shuffling stuff around or take stuff out before shopping trips. It also is a really comfortable, smooth ride with great visibility.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I have one child, and I drive a mini van. But we have enough people around often, and it's nice to be able to load everyone into the van and go if we want to go anywhere. Mine gets great gas mileage, and in my opinion drives more like a small suv than anything. (maybe because I had a HUGE truck that I drove before this, lol) Also, I'm a taller girl, and I have a hard time getting in and out of smaller vehicles. We're also looking at trying for another child soon. So a van just made sense.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 10:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Oh you also asked for cons. I can't really think of any.
    Another pro is that three extra adults can ride with us without changing anything, and I can fit four extra if I put in the extra seat. We never have to take more than one car.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I always wondered that as well. I have a 2011 hyunida sonata (full size sedan) and only have one child. Plenty of room to fit grandm/grandpa in the back if needed.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My dream car is totally a mini cooper but I own a minivan. I plan on having more children then the one i've got now, plus i have two dogs and lots of inlaws who are very involved with our lives. The space really makes the difference.
    prettypaper

Answer by prettypaper at 10:53 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Space for kids friends, space for extended family when going to meet somewhere with even more family :) SPACE FOR GROCERIES!! LOL
    grammamamma

Answer by grammamamma at 11:53 PM on Oct. 24, 2010