my DD is 14 weeks. the pedi said to give diluted prune juice for hard poops/constipation...

but she doesnt seem to care for it and it is brown and disgusting when she spits up...what would you recommend? can i use apple juice? or pear juice? they said i could also use dark karo syrup but isnt it brown also??? NOTE: I REALIZE JUICE IS NOT NECESSARY FOR SOME OF YOU AND ITS FULL OF SUGAR BLAH BLAH BLAH...DONT NEED A LECTURE, JUST SOME ADVICE! THANKS!!

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 10:47 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never gave my son straight prune juice, I gave him apple-prune. It was slightly darker, but tasted mostly like apple. The little 4 oz. baby juice (Gerber I think?) was enough for him. It's probably the most natural method. Suppositories are another option- but I didn't want to do that.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• That seems really harsh for a baby that small! I tried it with my 12 month old and he was crying because he would have explosive bowel movements and cramping. Maybe it's better. Prune juice tastes nasty to me, so I don't blame her! I bought baby suppositories. He'd poop in 20 minutes and it was over.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• apple or pear juice will work fine as well, maybe not as quickly as prune, but either will do the trick. Sometimes even just a little water will help.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• works4mom.com....thanks for the info but i was asking if i could use something OTHER THAN prune juice...it works...i just hate it and so does she...lol....thank you tho : )
    mamagee1218

Comment by mamagee1218 (original poster) at 11:02 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• PS. don't listen to the know-it -alls who think they are better than the rest of us. There is a reason they are on here, no one else will listen to them! Those of us who just post advice without the attitude, we usually have some clue, but not always lol

I think the only one being a know it all, or having an attitude would be someone who would post a comment like this, when it wasn't relavant.
    Anonymous

• OK i know they say not to but my little girl has had at least an once of water a day sences she was born in april in the middel of fl yes its been a hot one but she has never had hard poo so it might help and try it
    myraclemommy

Answer by myraclemommy at 11:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Can you tell me a bit more about the stools? You said hard, but are they very hard, possibly dry or pellet like? What is your baby's diet? How often does she have a bowel movement? I ask because it's possible that it's not really constipation, though with hard stools it might be. Yes, prune juice is tried and true, but you're right, its gross. Karo syrup is NOT recommended for infants, as it carries a slight risk of botulism poisoning, and Karo's website specifies that you should not give it to infants.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• The prune juice worked great mix it with formula or breastmilk might make it go down easier, I was told to stay away from the apple juice cause it can make constipation worse :).
    Karmawolf

Answer by Karmawolf at 7:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• YUP! used it, works wonders!
    No problems, I just put a table spoon in with her bottle and she pooped like a champ!
    My sisters son had to do full bottles of the stuff with her son, as did a little girl I used to baby sit.
    It's harder if you nurse because you're switching back and forth from breast to bottle, but I found that 1 bottle a day with a table spoon of prune juice did the trick.

PS. don't listen to the know-it -alls who think they are better than the rest of us. There is a reason they are on here, no one else will listen to them! Those of us who just post advice without the attitude, we usually have some clue, but not always lol
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2010