How to pack a healthy 'cool' lunch?

Do you pack vegetables and fruits,what kinds and how do they stay cool.My 8 yr.old,complains about her cheese stick and grapes being soggy by lunch time.What kind of containers can I use to prevent this?Should I use several ice paks or those hard plastic ones and a special lunch box?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Pack your grapes with a paper towel or napkin to absorb the sogginess. I don't ususally pack cheese, so I'm not sure on that one. I would think the paper towel trick would work there too.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Someone gave me this link last year on here.  She makes vegan lunches.  It's Vegan Lunch Box.  You might get some ideas there.  She makes some great stuff!!

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• the only reason for the cheese to be soggy is if it gets too warm, so use a bigger ice pack and well insulated lunchbox and place the cheese next to the ice. you can also try little hummus cups that come with pretzel crackers made by sabra, real fruit "fruit rollups", individual containers of stuff to make her own salad, soups of all kinds with flavored triscuits, wraps (meat, cheese, and veggies in a pita or tortillia) with a little packet of ranch, mayo, or mustard...hope some of that helps!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 11:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• They have containers where the ice pack is built right into the lid. I'd look into those. They sold them at Target at BTS time, maybe you can see if they have them on their website.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 11:29 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• They also have yogurt that you can freeze and be ready to eat by lunch
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• have you try bento boxes? check them out, they are neat and a fun way to keep food fresh and neat.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 7:08 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Check out this site for inspiration. I love these lunches!
    http://wendolonia.com/blog/2009/07/15/lunch-box-ideas/
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 1:05 PM on Oct. 30, 2010