Would you ask your friends to donate stuff they don't want for a garage sale?

A friend of mine is really sick and all their money is going on medical bills and perscriptions. She was thinking of canceling an operation she has booked in December so that her two girls could have a Christmas. I was thinking that if I had a garage sale and asked people to donate stuff I could give her the money I made to help her out. Perhaps giving her it in gift cards so that she could spend it on the girls. She has got to the point now where she will accept help where ever she can get it. I would be intersted to know what you think.

Britmum72

Asked by Britmum72 at 7:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Relationships

• is for a good cause so is ok and very nice of u to think to do something like the for a friend

Anonymous

• that is honorable. you are having a fundraising garage sale to offset a friend's medical bills. I would market as such, and you might just forgo the hagglers! Have fun, and get the kids to do up some cupcakes, or hot chocolate or something too.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 8:05 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• i always feel forced when someone asks me for stuff for a yard sale. but it doesnt hurt either.
    Anonymous

• I think that it would be perfectly fine to ask amongst friends and family to see who could help, as long as you are certain that the person who you are giving the money to would not be embarrassed! :)
    Anonymous

• I see no problem with this, I would call or e-mail all your friends and tell them everything you told us, Im sure you will get plenty of donations :)
    ELC

Answer by ELC at 9:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• if i had a friend that needed the help, i'd be more than willing to donate my things. i would ask friends for things and explain why you want them. if they don't have anything to give to you for the sale then maybe they'd be able to help with a cash or toy donation. people tend to pull together for friends that need help at christmas. you/their mom might also be able to talk to a local "community action" or salvation army and have them put on an angel tree list.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 10:27 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I think this is a great idea. Not only could you ask for people to donate items, but you could make it an all out fund raiser for your friend. Get other friends involved in the planning! Maybe even some local businesses might want to donate food or money to your cause! Good Luck!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Why not have a car wash,call macys, mervny's etc and put them on the wish tree or call the local news station around christmas or sooner they come to your house,give you a tree,gift cards etc.I know fox 11 does that.
    monica277

Answer by monica277 at 5:54 PM on Oct. 30, 2008