Bread Machine Recommendations

I'm using my b-day money this year to buy bread machine but I really don't know what to look for other than a good rating and price on amazon.

What do you ladies love/hate about your machines? Words of wisdom or warning please!

IrishMommaC

Asked by IrishMommaC at 11:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I have a Cuisinart one that I like. It's nice looking and matches my stainless appliances, so it looks nice when it's out on the counter. It has great options that are easy to use and a good gluten-free cycle. And like most Cuisinart stuff (my Cuisinart toaster oven is my favorite appliance in the house!), it's really reliable. You can use it to death and it will go and go and you will always get the same results.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:16 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• kneading it really doesn't take too long by hand
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 11:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Look for one that you can make up to 2 lbs of dough. I use mine only to make dough, I never actually let the bread bake in the bread machine. The crust is lighter and more tender if you bake the bread in the oven. Also Make sure that it can do whole wheat flour if you like wheat bread. Some of them are not heavy duty enough to handle the whole wheat bread.

The machine I've always wanted is a Zojirushi, you can find lots of reviews at King Arthur's Flour. It's kind of expensive, but I've heard great things about it. I've had 3 bread machines in the last 20 years. The first was a Westbend, which I loved, and the company really stood behind their product, I haven't ever found another. The 2nd and 3rd have been Cuisinart, which have been okay, but I haven't been as pleased with as the Westbend, but I got both as "demonstrator models" for about $25....not at the same time, when one went out, I found the other.

Use mine daily.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:22 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I have a Sunbeam 5891 and love it! It handles everything I've done so far, and I do a lot with it, making breads, cakes, even dough for bread or tortillas or pasta. It has a speed bake setting to make a loaf of bread in under an hour, it has sweet bread, cake, even jam settings. I've had it for over a year, bought it for $25 from someone that had only used it once.

I also have a Toastmaster that is older and has taken a few falls off the counter but works just fine. I purchased that one from a garage sale for $20 several years ago. Yes, I do use both, especially if I'm making large amounts of buns, bread, or tortillas.

I saw several bread machines at our local thrift store the last time I was there. I was tempted to buy more for the $5 price tag that was on them but I really don't have the storage space. For that price, you could try several different models, pick one you like, and resell the rest.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:48 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I have an Oster. My friend, who bakes a lot of bread, bought it for me. I loved it, so when it finally gave out after 10 years, I bought another Oster. It has a variety of settings, that have been very useful to me. You've gotten me in the mood, I'm going to go bake some bread today!
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:55 AM on Oct. 25, 2010