Dog food question

I take my dog to the vet for all visits like you should. Last visit, vet asks me what kind of food do I feed my dog. I answered with Pedigree for smaller breed dogs since I have a chiwuawua. He just looks at me (now remind you my dog is 4 yrs old and I have had him since he was 7 months old) and says that this is the worst dog food I could be giving him. He tells me that this is just like taking my dog to McDonalds everyday and giving him a cheeseburger. They want me to buy this expensive food to give my dog which we have tried some others in the past that were suposed to be good and expensive too and my dog did not like it. Do I worry about what the vet says or just keep feeding him it if that is what he likes?

Logansmommy0810

Asked by Logansmommy0810 at 11:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Pets

• It's true. It's all cormeal. That's why it's so cheap.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• You should research it. The foods on the market really are not very good for animals. That being said those prescription foods the vets want you to by like Iams and such are really no better. Full of junk.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• i feed my dogs purina little bites because i have 2 dogs 5lbs and 13lbs. my vet never said anything about it. i also give them carrots a few times a week too, as a treat for them, they love them.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 11:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• .the cheap brands are cheap because of the crap that goes into it.. b ut i buy my dog a brand called natures own.. but not sure if its available in US. you can still get good quality food without the high price tag. just look around at the ingredients or what people have used. you could always google it. I dont think the vet was trying to rip you off but if you cant afford it ( and i dont not many could, i know i cant) then try and just make your own food. give left over meat ( not just the fat as fat and grind can cause other issues in dogs) and some veggies and cooked pasta. rice etc. they all are healthy and not mass produced with other additives.
    turkey mince and veggies and rice isnt a bad option and not too expensive but maybe limit it to 2-3 days a week. goodluck
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• We were feeding our one dog prescribed R/D Science Diet because he was over weight, but that was 60.00 a bag for 25 lbs. We are now just getting non-prescribed Science Diet Light Small Bites for adult dogs 1-6 years. It is still more expensive but he still needs light food.
    We get our current food from Petco.
    Did he tell you your dog was overweight? If not than why worry?
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 11:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• We stopped with iams and science diet because my dogs wouldn't eat it! lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My dog is by no means overweight, so that is not the reason. He looks like he is underweight. He is normal for his size and breed of dog but he just looks so skinny. Dr says that he is very healthy, so just wondering if it should be a big concern of mine or not. Thanks everyone.
    Logansmommy0810

Comment by Logansmommy0810 (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Have you ever gone to www.dogfoodanalysis.com? Sorry, I know it annoys some but I do not know how to turn that into a link. :)

I was reading all about which ingredients are bad, which aren't so bad and by the time I'd get to the store and start comparing it was a bunch of confusion. LOL That site's pretty neat though, I was amazed at some of the brands that fell under "one star" ratings.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I'm with your vet on that! It's pretty bad. I could recommend plenty of foods but the best thing you can do is to start educating yourself on what should and shouldn't be in a good dog food. Like Jessica157 said, www.dogfoodanalysis.com is a great start. You can find fairly affordable foods that will be MUCH better for your dog. I don't know if you have a Costco membership but their Kirkland brand food is very good for the price they also have a grain free food now for a great price.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:46 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes, Pedigree is CRAP...along with Purina, Iams/Eukanuba, Science Diet, and any store brand! Canidae is a cheap, high-quality brand. Their cheapest is the regular all-life-stages (it has chicken, turkey, lamb, and ocean fish)...it gets 5 out of 6 stars on dogfoodanalysis. You can order a 44lb bag from Amazon.com for $39.99 + $15.85...that is the best deal I have found online. If you buy it locally, you can probably get it for around $50. Check out their website to see if anyone near you sells it. This is just an estimate, but if your Chihuahua weighs 2-10lbs, he will only have to eat 1/2 - 3/4 cup/day! A couple of other brands that I've fed and had great results are Blue Buffalo and Taste of the Wild. I like to rotate between these 3 brands and their "flavors".
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:58 AM on Oct. 25, 2010