If you stop drinking sodas will it help shed a few pounds?

OK so I tried this and didn't drink sodas for about 6-7 weeks before I got married, thinking it'd help me lose like maybe 5 pounds from just that. Well I couldn't tell I had lost anything. I've had 2 kids and weigh 30-35 pounds more than I did before I ever had kids...not saying I'm fat, I'm just not comfortable with my body. So I'm going to try it again, and try only drinking water. Also, I crave the carbonationy taste of sodas, not the actual soda, so I got a diet 0 calerie, no caffeine sierra mist at WalMart early so would that be ok to "get my fix" lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Don't drink the diet soda. Just don't do it. It's really bad for your metabolism. If you must have something carbonated get some sparkling water and add a couple of slices of citrus to it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• it should help, depending on how much you used to drink. drink tons of water cos it helps flush everything out of your body and after a week or so the cravings should go away. good luck
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 11:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Yes it can help you lose some weight but when I cut out soda it gave me headaches. I am assuming from lack of caffeine!

Lildukeswife

Answer by Lildukeswife at 11:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• In theory you should lose weight, as long as you don't replace the calories with anything else (which might be easy to do without realizing). There are a lot of people in the science community who believe that sugar substitutes still stimulate the appetite centers of the brain, just like sugar, and still make you feel just as hungry as sugar does. Maybe try replacing them with carbonated water- they have lemon and orange flavored ones that are not sweet. It's worth a try- cutting out the sugars might be hard the first few days, but after a few days your cravings will actually decrease. Good luck!!
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 11:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• i lost 50lbs from cutting out pop from my diet 100% no diet no zero cal just got rid of it all
    alcnic27

Answer by alcnic27 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I only drink diet soda. I stopped drinking regular soda over 5 years ago. 5 year ago, I weighed 267 pounds. Today I weigh 158 pounds. Find a diet soda that you like and enjoy your life!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:23 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• diet soda is just as bad if not worse with the fake sugar/aspartame..
    alcnic27

Answer by alcnic27 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Ever noticed all the muffin tops-my doctor says it's from drinking diet sodas. He says he can tell when he examines a woman if she drinks diet soda. He said I didn't and he's right. And I am older, and overweight, but I've never drank diet drinks, I don't drink any soda at all.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:35 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Diet Dr. Pepper is one that I drink, since it is less in all the 'bad' stuff. not the best, but when I drink soda, that' what I choose. Try ginger ale too. I have known a LOT of women to lose quite a few pounds by stopping drinking soda all together!
    Lindsey3459

Answer by Lindsey3459 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• the soda u got will b ok if its not the main thing you drink all day water is alot better but we all know how boring water can get. cuting soda can help u lose weight but probably not any real significant weight loss. you should try cuttin back onother fatty things in your diet and push exercise more. though its not normally good for most ppl to just cut things out of their diet wih out having some sort of a side effect for example.... headaches
    mg25

Answer by mg25 at 3:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2010