I just got a cold and I am breastfeeding my 6 wk old baby. I noticed my milk supply decreased suddenly. How can you tell for sure that the milk supply decreased and what can I do to increase the milk supply?

rah20

Asked by rah20 at 11:38 PM on Oct. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Drink lots of water. Keep feeding baby. Breast milk is supply and demand. The more you nurse the more milk you make. Breast feeding while sick is IMPORTANT! It helps the baby gain immunity to the cold, baby is getting all of your antibodies, which will keep him or her healthy! GL
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 11:41 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• What made you think your milk supply went down? Baby still having at least 6 wet diapers a day? Did you take any antihistamine or decongestants? There are lots of things to do to increase milk supply. Eating oatmeal, taking fenugreek, mothers milk tea (tastes a bit like licorice but I made it by the gallon with splenda and served it iced and it wasn't that bad), pump for 5 minutes after baby eats. Please get back with me to the answers to my questions so I can further help you. DO NOT SUPPLEMENT though, that IS a sure fire way to decrease your supply.
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 11:42 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• It is probably just your post partum hormones stabilizing. Some moms think that they suddenly "feel" empty. Assuming you did not start on BC pills or something like that, you still have plenty of milk. Just keep nursing on demand and baby will "tell" your body how much milk to make.
    The only thing that suggests your supply has dropped is if baby is not wetting as many diapers (poops will decrease at this age)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• The best thing you can do is to eat right and keep nursing your baby the more you nurse the better the milk flow is.. Do not give the baby any formula that will make your milk supply decrease. I used fenugreek with my first child and it helped.. The most important thing to do is DON'T STRESS! That does not help your supply either.. GOOwe rockD LUCK SWEETIE. I hope our advice is useful to you!

Lildukeswife

Answer by Lildukeswife at 11:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I had a cold recently too. I kept on nursing on demand. LO got a bit of a stuffy nose and a touch of cough, but that was gone within a week. I agree with the mommies above - keep yourself hydrated, and keep nursing!
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 11:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Drink lots of water and keep feeding. It will keep flowing with supply and demand.
    Logansmommy0810

Answer by Logansmommy0810 at 11:58 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• try to not take anything for your cold you will give it too baby and he/she dont need it/ if she gets a cold she needs to fight it off herself. drink lipton tea with honey NO SUGAR for yourself it will help you. plus to help you airway and hers sit in a room with the shower running with straight hot water. eat soups and make sure your eating your three meals a day and and drinking lots of fluids. gatorade will help too. but try to drink only water and tea with no sugar. gets lots of rest.
    good luck!
    19_klayton

Answer by 19_klayton at 12:06 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Thank you all for the advice. I will follow your comments. I started supplementing (which I will stop after reading yr comments). I've been pumping instead and freezing the milk. The reason I think my milk decreased is because when I pump I barely get 2 oz (from both breasts) whereas before I could get 3.5 oz from both sides and my breasts feel very tender and soft and Ive been sick with a cold for the last week.
    rah20

Comment by rah20 (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Rah20, that is normal. Babies were made to get milk from our a breasts, a pump is NOT as efficient. Especially now that your milk is regulating and adjusting to what your baby needs. Are you working? IS that why you are pumping? IF you can avoid pumping, I would this early in the game. However, if you NEED to pump for work, I would say nurse on one side and pump the other side. NEVER pump before nursing. And PLEASE, stop supplementing now. Check your insurance to see if they will cover a lactation consultant, if not, you can see one at the WIC office, you do not have to be on WIC to see one.
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 8:15 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Pumping is not a good way to see how much you produce or if it's enough. It's the diaper countt hat matters. S/he needs to have at least 6 to 8 wet diapers a day. And as one momma said it's all about supply and deman. The more you nurse, the more you'll produce. Also breastfeeding while sick is a good way to pass the antibodies to your LO to help keep him or her from getting sick.
    jltplk25

Answer by jltplk25 at 8:42 AM on Oct. 25, 2010