Should I put his name on the birth certificate?

I'm due in May of 09...My boyfriend left me after finding out I was pregnant... then told everyone it wasn't his. I want a DNA test just to show him the baby is his BUT I don't want him on the birth certificate. Am I legally allowed to do this?

SingleMommy1989

Asked by SingleMommy1989 at 7:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Relationships

• Think a minute. He and his friends dis'd you. You don't want your baby to grow up to be like them. Ditch him. They will ask you for a father's name for the birth certificate. Say "I do not care to name a father for the child" Stick to your guns. They will ask. Don't name him. Don't put his name of the birth certificate. You can always amend this later if you change your mind. You might find a significant other who knocks your sock off and wants to adopt your baby. Thats really easy if you never put that jerk's name on the birth certificate.
    LeftBrainy

Answer by LeftBrainy at 9:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Yes, you are. If he doesn't claim it then why shoudl he have his name on there?
    I wouldn't even requested a DNA, it's just a waste. You know who the dad is and that is all that matters. Just take care of yourself and forget him.....sad, I know but his choice.
    Do what is best for baby and you....
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 7:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I am a mother of a child whose father dis owns her and knows she is his..You do not have to put his name on there. It doesn't matter what name you give your baby unless u are legally married..If you are single you could name the baby any name you wish..It doesnt even have to be your last name..Take it from someone who has been there sweetie...good luck...And if I can do it, so can u
    ashdenney

Answer by ashdenney at 8:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• yes you are but think of what the baby will want later. i didn't give my oldest son his fathers last name and now he wishes he had it. after all that is what he is a cole. either way you look at it the baby is still his and yours. your giving your baby a name of his name but your giving the baby a lot more. maybe you could give the baby up for adoption if you don't have the support of the bf. it's hard being a single mom and that would give the baby a better life cause it would have both a loving and supportive mom and dad.
    Anonymous

• If you establish paternity it wont matter whether you want his name there or not the courts will put his name on the birth cert and even if you don't want it he can always do it through the courts
    Anonymous

• yes my son has my last name and his father took me for a dna used the system just to see if he was his and all he got was a child support order out of it my son still has my last name
    Anonymous

• anon 8:050 Im not trying to argue but I live in ohio and when we went to court they did not order my sons last name to be changed she should ck with her state laws I would get the dna god forbid he dies she will need s.sec to take care of her son
    Anonymous

• Wasn't talking about last name I was talking about where it says father his name would go there you can name your baby what ever you want doesn't have to have either parents last name it could be dumbo for all the court care I am talking about the father name being put on the birth cert
    Anonymous

• only if you want it
    Anonymous

• you could tell them you don't know and that's why the father's name is left blank. they won't care. they just care about getting yours and the baby's name. man they kept bothering me about the baby's middle name cause i couldn't be released until then and i hadn't had one.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 29, 2008