My dd is driving me nuts!

How does anyone deal with tantrums?! How can a 13mth old be so difficult so early? She throws herself back if things aren't her way! And now shes fighting her sleep while throwing a tantrum. Im at my wits end!
!

mercy928

Asked by mercy928 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 14 month old has been doing the same thing lately. I completely ignore him when he has a tantrum. I'll set him in his crib or in a safe place (so he doesn't hurt himself on anything) and let him go nuts. Most likely she is looking for a reaction out of you or is trying to let you give in. If you ignore her fits, she'll soon realize that they don't work and will stop. Good luck!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I have a 13 mo old too and although he pitches a fit when things don't go his way, I don't really think of it as a tantrum at this age (that is more of a 2-3y o thing). I think at this age they just don't know how to deal with not getting what they want or having things taken away- just the frustration of not understanding and not knowing how to handle their emotions. They also have a hard time transitioning when the fun stops. What I do (and it really paid off after doing this with my older dd) is TALK TALK TALK!! Tell them everything- what you are doing, why, what you think they are feeling. All the talking will slowly pay off and they start to understand WAY more than you can imagine. My son is already understanding "we don't eat that, its not food" after me saying it for a few weeks before I take things away. It may seem tedious but it will pay off. AS for the bedtime thing, you might have to try cio.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 12:30 AM on Oct. 25, 2010