I know rules change all the time, but here goes..... Do you need a Diploma to join the military or can you have a GED?

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 12:24 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes, you MUST have a high school diploma or GED to join the service.
    If you have a GED, you must have a certain amount of college credit hours.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:27 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I believe only the Army/National Guard will take applicants with a GED, but if you don't get any good answers, let me know and I'll ask my dad.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:27 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Forgive me, let me correct myself, you can enlist in the military with a GED.. But there are certain limitations with each branch and each branch on takes VERY, VERY limited numbers. The easiest branch to enlist with a GED is the Army, as they take the most enlistees with a GED. If you do not have a GED, the Army has a program to help you obtain your GED but it also has special limitations.

If you enlist with a GED, you can expect to enlist as the lowest rank, which is E-1.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:38 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Can you enlist with a GED? Yes and No. It really depends on the needs of the military at the moment. The Air Force is the least forgiving of this and as others have said the Army would be your best bet of getting into the military with a GED. However, if you have 15 credit hours from a trade/vocational school, community college, or any other post secondary credits, the military will look at it as the equivalent of a high school diploma. Also, if you have had a job and have been on it for awhile they may consider someone with a GED. The reason that they typically don't like to enlist someone with just a GED is because this group of people have such a high drop out rate in the military. If you can prove that you are willing to do what is needed, then I am sure the recruiters will work with you on helping you obtain the requirements needed to enter the military. Good luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:38 AM on Oct. 25, 2010