How do I get my daughter to understand stranger danger?

My 9 year old thinks she is invincible and does not comprehend stranger danger. I've told her not to talk to strangers or take rides from people she does not know and she does not get it. She thinks if someone tried to kidnap her that she could fight them off. I told her if someone wanted to kidnap her that they could do it.

mom23girls541

Asked by mom23girls541 at 12:40 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Take her to a self defense class. but in reality most violent crime occurs between two people who already have a relationship..not strangers.

Still good lesson though! Take her to the class and let her see first hand how easy it would be and teach her how to defend herself.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:43 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Well I agree with you that this is definitely a problem that needs to be addressed. Grown women get raped and kidnapped so if that can happen, its gonna be a piece of cake with a 9 year old. I agree with tntmom. Take her to some self-defense classes and maybe have her read some news stories about kids her age that have been abducted. Not to scare her and they don't need to be in all the horrible detail, but just so that she knows it CAN and DOES happen.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:48 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• the best bet is go to police department they have ways in teaching kids how to take care of them self also make sure she gets her black belt because even i can not take care of my self for all the danger out there and i have two dogs
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:49 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• How my Mother taught me stranger danger was to have me watch a movie about a boy who was in a toy store and when his mother turned around he was gone. Everyone searched for him and the part they found was his head. It was not gory, but in some 1980's way you just understood that they only found the head.
    A bit of a tough way to teach someone, but it worked for me.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 12:53 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Do some role playing with her and your SO. Play out a few scenarios like someone approaching her and offering her candy and then scooping her up, etc. Do it with both of you. Show her that she could not fight them off. Have her show you what she would do and how you would be able to overcome it. Police officers used to go to my kids' schools and do programs like this.

Then take opportunities when you are out and about to show her that even people being nice might be looking to harm her. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:29 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• some of the showes like with out a trace have kids coming up missing. You have a police officer go to her school and talk about how dangerous it could be if you talk to stranger or take rides from strangers.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I recently read that teaching kids stranger danger only causes anxiety and doesn't really protect them.....has anyone else read this? As far as I can tell, they are no longer teaching the class in my local schools, although when my adult daughters were little they were teaching it then.....I must admit, it caused A LOT of anxiety in my hyper-sensitive, already high strung daughters....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:39 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I have a feeling I'll end up having this same problem with my preschooler; she's friendly with everyone she meets and sees. I agree that taking her to self-defense classes are a good idea.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 6:07 PM on Oct. 30, 2010