If my child has medicaid and i chose not to get him shots can they take him off medicaid?

jellybeansmama

Asked by jellybeansmama at 12:46 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No, they can not. Ask for waivers for schooling and such.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:53 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My son is on Medicaid for his secondary insurance and we only selectively vaccinate. I have gotten little flyers in the mail from medicaid reminding about vaccinations but they have never said anything to me about being removed from medicaid if I don't get them. I don't see how they could do something like that. I'm pretty sure that's not legal.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:54 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Did you have to fill out a religious exemption or anything? And if somebody hasnt taken there child to the dr for a while and was going to take them back will they say anything about it?
    jellybeansmama

Comment by jellybeansmama (original poster) at 12:58 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• With Medicaid programs, I do believe they can drop you if you don't take the children to well child visits within a certain period of time, but I am not too sure about that one.

As far as the vaccinations, I wouldn't worry. If they ask why you haven't vaccinated, then I would ask for waiver. It is medically necessary to vaccinate and they can't force you, so don't worry.

Kudos to you for trying to make the best decision for your child.. Whether it is vaccinating or not vaccinating.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:02 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Thanks! Do you vaccinate? You can get a waiver against that?
    jellybeansmama

Comment by jellybeansmama (original poster) at 1:05 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I selectively vaccinate and delay vaccinations. My children do not receive the chicken pox vaccination or the flu vaccination ever. Every other shot is delayed months and they only receive 1-2 shots per appt.

You can get the personal, medical, and religious waivers for not vaccinating.. Just depends on your state.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:09 AM on Oct. 25, 2010