I had my last ciggarette the other day. I am on day 2 on quitting. I know all the benefits of stopping but I need tips on how to stay stopped?

I wanted to buy candy that burns my mouth like mint candy. Can someone please give me words of encouragement please. I know smoking stinks But there are many times where I miss smoking for some weird and odd reason. I am using the patch so it does make it a bit easier.

nessy1980

Asked by nessy1980 at 12:51 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Health

• Best of luck and try just holding a pencil like a cig I have found if i just hold something between my fingers i dont think about smoking cuz my hands are occupied.... keep up the good work & congrats
    hiswifey0725

Answer by hiswifey0725 at 12:55 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• just keep in mind youre doing it for your family, best of luck
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 12:56 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!
    The hardest thing is going to be when yo uget stressed out and you want something in your mouth so bad. So in addition to having something to put in there (candy, toothpick, gum....) you should think about some good coping mechanisms for stress. Have a strategy in place, so when the stress comes, you're somewhat ready for it. If you're going to do candy, do sugarless or you're going to put on the pounds really fast. STOP hanging out with people who smoke! You're still breathing it and you get tempted every time. Hang out with people who don't smoke.

GOOD LUCK!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:57 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Thank you. I got so angry because smoking isnt cheap. So the way I look at it is I am paying a lot to slowly kill myself. Then I also started thinking since I am my childrens biggest example since I smoked they will more likely smoke. I dont want that to happen to my babies. What a nasty habit. I am never smoked inside but when I came inside from smoking my house smelled bad too because of dh and I. Hes stopping too.
    nessy1980

Comment by nessy1980 (original poster) at 12:58 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I have no tips. I've never smoked, but I'm always happy to hear that someone is quitting. We lost 3 people in a 2 month period to lung cancer in 2008, and a very dear friend of ours is currently battling cancer in his lungs and spine....caused by a lifetime of smoking.

Best wishes as you quit....this is the best gift you can give to your husband, children, and parents!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:58 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• keep busy. find something you've always been wanting to do and go for it and don't stop until you've stopped thinking about smoking. i did that lot, pigged out a lot and kept thinking about all the extra money i'll have from now on from not spending so much on cigarettes. best of luck to you!!
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 1:01 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Big Red gum. it is cinnamon and chewing helps with the craving. I went through many packs of Big Red and eventually didn't need it anymore.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 1:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2010