Selling Avon?

ok i'm trying to help one of my friends from back home (TX) she is a mother of 2 kids and is single and just started to go to college...she doesnt have a job and she is struggling with money....I need information about Avon....I asked her why doesnt she apply for avon n she told me cuz you have to pay to join and that if the customers dont pay for the stuff that they ordered she haves to pay for it from her pocket...Is that true?

Espinosa

Asked by Espinosa at 2:10 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• Avon is VERY hard to sell. You only have to pay like $10 to sign up.. But you have to pay for all your selling materials (brochures, business cards, etc.) and you have to network yourself A LOT. I tried to sell and it was not worth it. If she is a single mother and trying to go to college, Avon may not be the best thing for her.

As far as ordering, you collect your customers orders and take their money and then order your merchandise. That way you aren't stuck paying for unpaid merchandise.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:13 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• The way Avon is set up you have to be VERY serious about it, be VERY good at not buying ANYTHING for yourself, and have to go to other peoples homes in a large area without your kids.

THINK IT OVER VERY HARD!
    grammamamma

Answer by grammamamma at 2:49 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• A huge problem with selling Avon is that there are tons and tons of people everywhere that do it. Most people don't really earn very much money with it and it is time consuming to try to get yourself started. Most people know someone who sells it already so finding a client base could be next to impossible. I sold Avon for a very shot time and hated it. I never made any money.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 7:20 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I sell Avon and what these ladies say is true. It costs only $10 to sign up and that gets you your first set of catalogs and a few supplies, not much. Then you have to buy new catalogs every two weeks and there are tons of people who sell Avon, so you end up wasting a lot of catalogs on people who won't order. If people don't pay you for the things you ordered, you can send the product back at your expense. The commission is about 20%, but once you factor in paying for the catalogs and other supplies, plus gas and time, it really ends up not worthwhile. I have been selling it for 5 years. I mostly do it for ME because I buy a lot of stuff and then my acquaintances order from me, but it has been so bad lately that I may get out of it at the end of the year.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:35 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Statistically speaking, look at how many years Avon has been around! I like Avon because you usually can get your immediate geographic location. That means you can just drop your books off in your neighborhood and have people call you. Drop them off at commercial places too. We have a lot of people around here that do that. You don't necessarily have to go door to door. How much you purchase up front is a choice.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:47 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I sold Avon myself...I could not control spending what little profit I made on things I couldnt resist LOL
    grammamamma

Answer by grammamamma at 12:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes, that's true. You have to pay for the catologues, too. Plus, there are so many women who sell Avon. If she does do direct sales, she should do something that's not so common. But, really, unless she has time to devote to it, she's not going to make money at it.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes, Avon has been around a LONG time but that also plays against them ..b/c they have an OLD reputation...Granted they have changed 10 fold in the last 20 years, but it is still the common you can make any REAL money with avon UNLESS it is your FT gig.

I met 1 person over the last 2 years in Network marketing who told she she made about 300-500 bucks but it was a TON of CONSTANT work.

I think for your friends situation not worth it.

THe other thing people need to consider with ANY business is you get out of it what you put into it, this is where so many people fail they see compensation and ease of being their own boss but forget to take into account those same factors on reverse...YOU ARE YOUR OWN BOSS, you dont work you dont get pd.

Investing a tad more money will likely yield your more income through compensation.
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 9:15 AM on Oct. 26, 2010