Changing careers at 37? From Artist to Nurse - smart move?

I'm thinking of changing careers at 37. Going back to school and becoming an RN. Layoffs are happening left and right in my field (Artist) and I just don't ever want to worry about not having a job and not being able to take care of myself & family...thoughts? Any RN's out there with advice?

babylotus

Asked by babylotus at 2:12 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'm not a nurse but my sister is. RNs will always be in demand, but the job is REALLY hard. You have to be really dedicated in order to make it work as a nurse. On the age thing, I don't think it is ever too late to change careers. My mom got her computer science degree at 42 and when I was getting my MA there was a man in my classes who was 78. If it is something you are drawn to do, something you think you'd love, then go for it. But don't make this big of a commitment if it isn't something you really want.
    Gooberzilla

Answer by Gooberzilla at 3:12 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I think the fact that you are going into the medical fiend is a smart move.
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Well, the medical field is growing. If you need to make the change, do all your homework first so you know what you'll be getting yourself into.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• you pretty much cannot go wrong with a career in healthcare. being an RN will also allow you time to persue your artistic goals. work 3 12 hour shifts a week and your done. you could also combine your artistic talent with nursing by doing traveling nursing and exploring while getting paid. i think its a wonderful idea.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Kudos to you!!! The medical field is always in demand and I would not worry about lay-offs or cutbacks. Unfortunately, there will always be people who are hurt and/or sick...good luck to you!
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 7:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My mother became an RN at 40. I say go for it if you think you're cut out for it. You're still young.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I say do it only if you truely have an interest in it.
    extremelibrary

Answer by extremelibrary at 3:47 PM on Dec. 22, 2010