How many Pagans are in the Bible Belt?

I am, but just barely. Do you feel that it's very difficult for you to be yourself living there, or do you think it would be just as hard or easy living elsewhere? I think it would be easier living somewhere else. Around here (if you've seen Wrong Turn or Deliverance, add a few more houses, and throw in a Walmart in the largest "town" and you have where I live basically lol), there are plenty of people who would still gladly execute someone if they found out the person was Pagan. There are a lot of people around here who would be thrilled to see every non-Christian meet an untimely end, regardless of their religion, actually.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 2:42 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yeah I am...DH and I dont even tell anyone our religion because it would just cause so many problems. DH is in the military so the only people that know what religion we are is a few people he works with that have the same religion. Other then that we arnt saying anything. Not only does it worry me for people to find out what our religion is here it is also none of their business.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:16 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It's not an area people typically think of when they say bible belt, but on average it's worse. Kids are harassed at school here for being the wrong kind of Christian, let alone not one. Employers lead prayers at work, have mandatory lunches with sermons, and give their favored employees paid prayer breakfasts by invitation only. Letting people around here know you're not a Christian is asking for trouble, nevermind them finding out you have a different religion.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:56 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• What pnwmom said... I am hoping to every god there is that I never have to live in that area ever again!
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 3:17 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I'm technically living in the bible belt as I live in Virginia, but in the Hampton Roads area. I do feel that makes a difference as central VA has a stronger Christian bias. I know that I'd rather live where I'm at than to move any closer to Richmond or near the Blue Ridge just on religious bias alone. It's still tough in the lower schools on the whole church thing. I'm also openly Pagan in public and at home. I know that those who discriminate will do so if I'm the wrong kind of Christian or Pagan. So it doesn't matter if I try to hide it. I'd rather be open proud about my beliefs but with discretion. Still need to eat, so still need to be discreet in the workforce. It only takes one biased manager to make life difficult. d
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:39 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Thankfully, I'm not. But you wouldn't know it if you came here... We have less than 5000 people and over 40 churches in our little town.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• North Carolina here ... I am openly Pagan even though the area is largely Christian. There are TWELVE churches (that I can think of) within a mile radius of my home. I haven't had any negative reactions to my face, so far. Most people seem to be surprisingly open-minded, again, at least when talking to me.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:37 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I used to live in the bible belt. I kept my path hidden out of fear. I mean there were houses that had the confederate flag flying on the flag pole in their front yards.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:01 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Does Lincoln, Nebraska, count?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:56 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I live in a small town and I am a pagan and a business owner.. so yes I know how you feel. I lived in larger towns most of my life and had always been open.. now I live in a small town and have to hide it because people are very christian and very nosey here.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 7:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• As an Atheist living in the bible belt (since they can't seem to tell the difference between beliefs that do not include their god, we're all the same), I can say it is definitely different in many, many parts of our country... man, I would kill to get out of here. OK, maybe not kill...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:00 AM on Oct. 26, 2010