What are some risks of having a blood transfusion?

I am pregnant and i was told i may need a blood transfusion before or after my c section tomorrow.

lovebunny82709

Asked by lovebunny82709 at 2:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They told me that too when I had mine but I didn't end up getting one even though I probably should have. I turned white as a ghost I lost so much blood. With my 2nd baby it wasn't a c-sec but I was at transfusion level again but they didn't do it. They tell you that pretty much anytime you have surgery or give birth in some hospitals. They'll make you sign your consent to it. I haven't had one but my dad and grandmother have and had no problems. I imagine there's a small risk of infection with it, but that's the case for anything in a hospital. It takes several hours for the transfusion to drip into you. If you are having a c-sec they will make you stay longer in the hospital and require you to have a bowel movement and pass gas before going home. I was so ready to go home I said sure, I did that!!! Truth was I couldn't because they had starved me for 3 days straight.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:02 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• You can have a reaction the antibodies in the blood. The disease risk these days is pretty low, since they screen everything.
    I hope everything goes smoothly for you!! Hopefully you won't need the blood transfusion.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:01 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• If they decide you need a transfusion, then the risks of you not having one are higher than the very small risk of anything being passed to you in the blood or your body reacting to the blood. I had to have one after my first csection, but I'm normally anemic anyway so it wasn't too big of a surprise.

Answer by missanc at 8:31 AM on Oct. 25, 2010