Argh! How do I entertain my five year old boy from 6am to 8pm. He has nature camp from 9-12 in the morning but is bored if their are no other kids around later in the day. And his 2yr old brother does not count. Often he resists a walk, or art, or other activity

I'm mostly looking for support here I guess. Maybe after 4yrs at home I am running out of steam. I miss the school year where I have adult activities.

JocelynSensaria

Asked by JocelynSensaria at 8:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i play word games when iam cooking like what are the words you can think of that start with a and he say one and i will or i spy that way i can get work down or i have him tell me a story or have him help me with dinner
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• mcdonald's. lol. go get him some apple dippers and let him run wild in the playplace. the library usually has activities. the park is a great place. call up a girlfriend and arrange a playdate.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 10:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I have a 6, 4 and 2 year old boys! They get on each other nerves if they are bored, so we have a "days of the week" activity chart. Mondays afterlunch we play in the pool (it's only a kiddie pool but we can build boats or fish... Tues, it's baking, anyhting from cookies to pies, Wed, it's playdate or hit the park to see who is around, Thurs, outdoor adventure (pretend camping or whatever) Fri is fun day ( the most fun thing they can think of, usuallu PLayplace :-) This keeps them playing on their own till activity time, and helps them learn days of the week, these are non negotiable, they don't have to play but usually it wokrs
    raawmom

Answer by raawmom at 1:21 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• My children went to bed by 7 pm when they were this age. Then it was "MY" time. So that meant that around six, I started the bedtime routine of baths, stories, etc. I am not the type to offer choices for everything. I had a set bedtime and bedtime routine for my children. Kids actually love routine. They do well when it is adhered to. I wish you luck.
    mapleleafwoman

Answer by mapleleafwoman at 7:42 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• *Digging - A sandbox or ungrassed area is good for shovels, buckets, and dumptrucks.
    **VBS - If you are Christian, Vacation Bible School (VBS) is a good fun activity for kids. We signed my stepson up for a couple already this summer and he loved going.
    **Sports or activities - Most cities or communities often have seasonal activities (arts or sports) that cost a small fee.
    **Wednesday is Library Day! We go to any activities at the library, pick out books, and go out to lunch.
    **Learning Time - My stepson is learning some basic words for reading, works on writing, and is learning basic math.(HE requests to do the math!) This lasts 30-45 mins max.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 10:17 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Where we live it it too HOT a lot of days so we bought a Click Start computer for my 5 yr old. It keeps his mind active and he loves being on the computer. It is by Leapfrog and it is a wireless keyboard that turns HIS tv into a computer. Thomas the Train is a blast.
    kerriwebb

Answer by kerriwebb at 6:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2008