How can I get my 1 year old son to concentrate more on potty training?

SmoothMommy

Asked by SmoothMommy at 8:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wouldn't worry about it. They ll start when they are ready they say. My son will be 2 in January and we are just starting now. They let you know, lol.
    mothercherry

Answer by mothercherry at 8:49 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• One sounds a bit young for potty training, especially for a boy. I'd wait a while.
    Anonymous

• I'd recommend not trying until he is dry at night. If you start and stop, he'll get used to the idea that he can go back to diapers.

Answer by Bmat at 8:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I thought it sounded a little young too.
    mothercherry

Answer by mothercherry at 8:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• too young :) my 16 month old can hardly concentrate long enough to eat a sandwich without forgetting it at least once LOL

all the potty training books I have say to wait until 2 1/2 - 3 years for boys. They need to be able to tell you before they go & to be able to hold it if needed. another main thing is waking up with a dry diaper in the morning and after naps. without those things, you are just gonna be a slave to sitting him on the potty every hour on the hour.
    Anonymous

• At 18 months I bought a potty. Let them sit on it with clothes on. Watch mama/dada go potty. Buy training undies around 2...
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Get a potty. Don't expect him to use it, just let him play with it.
    Put it in the bathroom you use the most.
    Invite him to sit on his potty whenever you use yours. Leave his clothes on.
    When you change him, talk to him about how you use the potty, how you wear underpants, how someday he will too.
    Get a potty training picture book to read at storytime occasionally.
    Don't pressue him, just talk to him about "someday".
    Get a potty training book for you or check BabyCenter.com for a list of the readiness signs.
    When he is ready, pick a method and go with it.
    But remember, if you start before he is ready, you will be "training" him longer than if you just wait until he is ready. So if you start 6 months before he would be ready, you will be training him throughout all those 6 months plus several more.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:07 AM on Oct. 30, 2008