How can I be actively involved in playing with my baby?

My baby is 9 months old and just learned to crawl so he loves being on the floor with his toys and exploring. I feel like I give him too much alone time playing. Toys are good things but I feel like I leave him with them too much. I want to be a big part of his play time and I want to be on the floor with him and play with him or find an activity or new experience (for him) we could share together. I feel a little separated, like I place him somewhere to play and I do stuff around the house. Any suggestions on how I can be more interactive? Know any games I can play with my baby? I do know that he LOVES for me to sing to him along with hand motions and to play peek a boo. Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you need to get on the floor and play with him. I understand that things need to be done around the house so maybe pick one thing that you are going to do. After that is done get on the floor with him. I remember crawling on the floor with the kids, banging on their toys and singing with them. We used to play "Head, Shoulders, Knee and Toes" all the time. I would sit them on my lap and then sing the song while moving their hands.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:13 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Now that he is crawling you need to be in closer proximity anyway so that can give you more opportunities to play with him. Balls are great toys and it would give you an opportunity to interact. You are doing some cute things with him. Keep it up. Also know that babies do need time to play on their own to foster creativity and independence. They should not be depending on someone else 24/7 for entertainment. Enjoy him!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:56 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Continue singing and talking to him. Face time is very important. Those little hand games are precious. On the floor, get down on his level. Get down on your tummy and mimic his movements. Get his attention and make silly faces. Find a toy like the go go caterpillar that rolls across the floor when you push it or press on its back. Encourage him to play with it. Can he sit? Have someone sit behind him and gently roll a ball toward him. Lie on your back and use him as a weight to exercise with. He will most likely delight in coming close to your face and then going up away from you, and back and forth. Do whatever comes to mind, really. Enjoy the time you spend with him. : )
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:54 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Wear him in a sling or wrap so that he can experience your day with you. Work, play, and learning aren't separate things for children. What you find dull he will find endlessly interesting. My 13 month old loves to be on my back while I do chores and I talk to her while I do so. I also hip carry her too if I don't need both hands. She likes to watch me put the laundry in to wash and dry. I also make sure we take outside time. Leaves, sand, rocks, dirt, grass...is part of the fun. You may find that often a baby who is bored inside will instantly calm down as soon as you walk out doors.

Try it. You'll be surprised at the things you'll enjoy together as part of just daily living.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:33 PM on Oct. 26, 2010