Why do some people on here....

act like their situations are the only ones and we should all model our lives after what they do?

That there couldn't possibly be other situations people deal with that make them have to take different courses of actions?

Why can't people accept that they don't understand every viewpoint?

Example: Spanking = disipline. Well when your kid is Autistic spanking equals nothing but a sore ass and your child looking at you like you just broke his heart. It doesn't work on every kid, so stop acting like your way is the only possible way anyone could ever imagine and that your some perfect parent. If you were a perfect parent you wouldn't need to punish your kids, would you?

vent over.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 6:22 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree. Some people think 'their way is the 'only' way'. Just you do what you know works and as hard as it is block other's opinions like that out of your mind. I don't believe in a 'one size fits all' mentality either.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 7:21 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• ...i would also like to add that not everyone knows about everyone elses issues. If you (OP) were to ask a question about punishing..and introduced the question with "hi, my name is zoeyis...my child has autism and i choose not to spank her because she looks at me like i'm a dumbass and i just broke her heart...what other methods of punishment can i use?"...maybe people wouldnt even say a word about spanking..not everyone includes any information about their kids though. ya know?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:20 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I agree spanking doesnt work for everychild. I remember when I was a kid when I got spanked it just made me act worse, but my son actually changes when he gets a quick swat on the tush.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:34 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• i agree , but some kids just act like crazy and some moms are too nervous , busy and not patient
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 6:37 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes, I think some people do tend to forget that each parent has his/her own style and methods and not everything works for everyone. I also think that some do not take into account the fact that there could be 'other issues' (like Autism) going on that can put a different spin on things. My children oldest is on the spectrum, and all 3 of my children have sensory issues. So to use spanking as an example-- what would feel like a light swat to me would feel like a very hard blow to them. Hence spanking is not used in our household, other discipline methods are used
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:24 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• i wonder for all these spanking loving moms on cm and around the world.. how would they love it if for everytime they did something someone esle didn't like.. they got slapped.. or spanked or beat.. would they still advocate for spanking

i agree though that everyone is different and not every solution is the best solution for any particular case. might be the best solution for you but not for jane doe.

some people just think they are more in than others
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 7:51 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• i agree that it doesnt work on some kids...but there are some moms who simply don't believe in spanking. My question to them is..if you've tried everything else and nothing else works..then why not just give your kid a spank? My thoughts are..these moms are the ones who are going to be run down by their children. ya never know what will work unless you give it a try
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:14 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Agree.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:42 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I agree
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 3:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I agree my mom thinks her way is the only way to discipline kids and keeps telling me how to raise them. But I believe everyone has their own way of doing things and not everyone may agree with what you do but it matters if you think its right and it works
    tashi02

Answer by tashi02 at 5:57 PM on Oct. 25, 2010