Is your DH/SO a nurturing parent?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 6:30 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes I think my DH is a nurturing parent. He spends time with the kids. He plays games with them and helps them with homework. We always knew when we had kids that we would have to work together and I think we do a good job at it.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:00 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No, and I spend a good deal of my time and energy trying to make up for his lack of nurture and affection. I feel sorry for him. His parents were totally crappy and he really doesn't know any different. In his mind, since he's there physically, he's a really good dad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• yes very much so he is very patient loving and generous with our children. He gives as much time as he is able and does all kinds of playing with my oldest daughter.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 8:16 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes!!! My husband is an equal partner in all ways. And my son does not have gender stereotypes when it comes to parenting roles. He often hears at bed time how dad is the one who staid home with him when he was first born while mom went to work. In all ways we are equal in our abilities to nurture our child. I have always said "Dad" is not just a noun it is also a verb.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:01 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Not really. I don't think he quite knows how.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 11:43 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Very nurturing, I'm very lucky.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:43 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• In some ways. He is more the playful one, and the buck definitely stops with him, but he can nurture when it's called for. He has always jumped right in when the babies were newborns and would hold them, feed them, burp them, etc. My kids from my first marriage tell me "you're nicer, but Steve's more fun!"

Answer by missanc at 11:53 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes. I didn't marry until I was in my 30s and was mature enough to make a good choice with my spouse. I know that sounds really judgemental and superior and I don't mean it that way. I mean that the serious relationships that I had in my 20s, even though I definitely loved those men...they were too immature to be good parents. I'd either have been stuck with a lousy father for my kids or I'd be divorced (like lots of my friends who got married as young 20-somethings). I'm glad I waited until we had both gone through the self-serving youth and partying stages and settled down as grown, mature adults before we introduced children into the mix. I mean, ever notice how many men are better fathers to their second family than to their first?
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 2:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• @Diva... its also possible that those 20s dads would have matured and grown as men and dads over the next few years and been awesome 30s Dads. How do ya think you found such good men in their 30s....they were once immature 20s Dads that learned over time ;-) .. Same with us Moms. Some of us are not mature enough to be moms imho.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 5:37 AM on Oct. 26, 2010