Does anyone know, really??

Does anyone know the 'real' age for children on facebook? I have heard so many ages down to 12. What is it. My 12 yo dd wants to have one but there aren't really very many her age in school age (classes) that have an account that we know of. Don't they have to be at least 13?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• You are supposed to be 13. Children under 13 are either lying on their own, or their parents know, and don't care. The best thing to do is follow AtHomeMommy-3's lead, and monitor all kids'  accounts and use of the internet, in general.

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 7:43 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Well, I think facebook requires a birthday of at least 13, but some people change birthday's so their kids can have one. We do not allow our kids to have a facebook. There are too many creeps on there and it's just not fit for a child of 12, MHO. Once they are in high school and old enough, then yes, but we'll still have full access to their accounts in the event we have to check on them
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 7:26 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It is 13. My son has had one since age 10. I know his password, I am his "friend" and he has no pictures and uses a fake name so no perv will talk to him. Also has a fake birthday listed. He is responsible with it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:21 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I don't see a reason for kids to be on FB. There are other sites for them. I'd go with something more intended for kids.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 2:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2010