Do you think everything that is alive has a soul?

plants and animals? or just animals? or just people and nothing else?

circle_of_life

Asked by circle_of_life at 7:48 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• people seem to feel humans are above everything else. If we have, so does everything else, imho.

plants I'll admit I'm not sure of. I guess I'd say thinking creatures are more likely, but I think the idea souls is beyond our understanding at the current time to real say for certain.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:49 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes so I am told. You can see it in their eyes. The eyes are the windows to the soul.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 7:58 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I don't believe anything has a soul. We are just nerves and chemical reactions :)
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:03 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I would view the term 'soul' as analogous to 'life force.' So in that sense, yes, anything that is not an inanimate object would have a soul. I think the difference between plants and animals is not soul, but sentience/consciousness.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:18 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• im not sure about a soul, but a consciensness yes.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 9:41 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I think everything has life in it, but animals have a spirit that makes them live. Humans have a soul as well as the breath of life. We can think, we can reason, we can choose our actions good or bad. Animals act on instinct.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:41 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• As part of G-d creation everything- alive or not- does have a spiritual counterpart. And living things have an added soul that gives them life. Humans, however, have a G-dly soul, a piece of G-d, which He "breathed" into us that no other part of Creation has. It's this soul what makes us spiritual being who must strive against their natural urges to achieve spiritual growth. In short, it's what gives us our free will and our capacity to make moral choices, which is exclusive to humans. Whether that makes us "superior" or not, it's not for me to decide, but it does make us unique and it does give a huge responsibility, which many people confuse with their "right" to dominate everything.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• people and anaimals have souls.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• yes, everything
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Human beings are the only ones whose soul consists of spirit, and therefor is eternal, does not die when the human being dies. We know this because humans beings are rational creatures and our decisions result in moral consequences.

Animals and plants (the other living things) do have souls but their souls are made up of matter and therefor die when they die. We know this because animals rely on instinct and their actions do not have moral consequences. I do believe, however, that God can and will re-create what we ask him to re-create at the end of the world (ie. our pets).
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 12:57 PM on Oct. 25, 2010