• In the Spotlight:

This is absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable! So our landlord/friend (not a good combo I know!)

Enformed us a few weeks ago that we are not allowed to turn the air on because the "new" tennants in the basement are always freezing. Well, I realize the tennants in the basement are freezing (a young couple) But, my kids (2 and8) and my husband and I are extreamly hot up staris! We have every single window in the house open and its SO HOT! I am also 36 weeks pregnant so being hot is making me swell up like a balloon! My son who is 8 cried in his bed last night begging me to turn the air because he was so hot. He had not shirt on and was sleeping with a sheet! Well, our "friend" called my husband yesterday and told him that she is moving the thermostat downstaris or she is going to loose the tennants and that WE needed to buy a air conditioning unit and she is raising our rent by $50 sense she has not raised it in 2 years... What the F? Are you kidding me?? Who do I need to call this has to be Illegal?

smarie1011

Asked by smarie1011 at 7:56 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• Nah its not illegal if she owns less than 5 homes. I have been through similar things with our landlord. I am sorry that she is doing this but if I lived downstairs and I was cold I would be throwing a fit. I know I hardly ever turn my AC on. I wish she would help you buy your own unit and she should of had the thermostats separated before splitting the house into apartments.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:01 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Does this "friend" have a permit to rent out to people. In most states I know you must have that, if she does, then it's her responsibility to have her apartments user friendly. I know it would be hard for you to move at this time, but where your expecting a new born, you must have your home with a temperature that is healthy for your baby.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 8:02 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• i would let her do whatever..buy your window unit or whatever...skip out on paying her ass rent and be looking for another place. Because even without paying her she still cant evict you until i think 30 days after giving you a notice...so i wouldnt pay her shady ass at the first of the month and i would look somewhere else
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:03 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• sadly it is legal, but I feel ya here. In contrast they shouldn't be allowed to make you guys overheated, either. Maybe the 3 of you need to meet and reach a compromise.

like setting the AC on a higher temperature or only having it on for a certain period of time...
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:03 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• This thing is. I can fix the air so that the tennants downstaris are comfortable but, my children and I have to suffer in the mean time with no air at all. I have lived here two year sthey have lived here three weeks!
    smarie1011

Comment by smarie1011 (original poster) at 8:04 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Check your lease. I imagine they have the right to raise your rent. If the air is for the entire house, I would think that the temperature has to be suitable for everyone. Who is paying the electric bill? Usually it is recommended that air be set at 78 degrees. But if the landlord is suggesting that you get window units that is what I would do. They are extremely inexpensive. You can also pick them up at thrift stores, garage sales, craigslist and freecycle.
    This is business not friendship and because they are your friends you should not expect special treatment.
    Familes and individuals within families want different temperatures in their homes since you share a air conditioning unit with another family it is up to the landlord to determine the temperature. You might suggest the downstairs people close their vents if that is possible.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:05 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• can they not buy a small portable heater or something for when they get cold?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:08 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I would just get a window unit or two for now. If its that big of a deal, then look for another place to live.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 8:13 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• You should buy the airconditioning unit & she should reimberse you, or take rent off for it. Have you asked the downstairs neighbors to close the air vents? Or cover them up? If she is starting to pay out more money, then she has a right to raise rent. But, this is something she is eventually going to have to fix. You should not be sharing one thermostat. You should look up laws in yoru state. Every state has certain laws when renting an apt. Landlords have to follow certain guidlines.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:49 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I lived in a unit where the other tenant's apt had the thermostat. It was awful but we talked and worked it out. As for being legal what your friend is doing, you may have to ask an attorney. Each state law is different. Just call Legal Aid or even the local HUD housing office. They know the state laws on housing. You may be able to check your state's Tenant Landlord Act online.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:58 AM on Oct. 25, 2010