What is your opinion or thought on this statement? It could be a relationship or current event question, not sure where it fits in best.

The things you do not believe in, do not affect your life.-
thanks in advance for your ideas and answers.

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 8:01 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I don't think I know what you mean about my arguments not holding up, Samurai_chica. I am certain that flat-earthers are still affected by gravity and can still purchace goods made in China. And, if one isn't a Christian they can still cannot sell or purchase alcohol on Sunday mornings in Ohio.

The quote makes a blanket statement and I found two examples of when that statement would be false (there are plenty of others). I agree that ignorance can sometimes be blissful, but that doesn't make the statement universally true.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:35 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• this can apply to many issues. What first comes to mind is that just because you don't believe in something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I can't decide one day that I want to be able to fly around and say "gravity does not exist" and jump out of a plane expecting to be able to fly. as far as issues mentioned previously like Homosexuality, abortion, etc, they only affect me by the way I approach the issue. However, social issues that I may not be personally affected by do affect me. take bullying for example. I may not be bullied but the fact that children are committing suicide and homicide because of it does affect me because it effects society. Anyway, just my thoughts. It's a vague question that could be answered in many ways.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 11:54 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Hmmm...I disagree. Here's an example. Let's say that you believe the world to be flat. You are still influenced by the world being an oblate spheroid (e.g., global trade of goods, gravity).

Another example: you do not believe in God. People who believe in God create laws based upon their beliefs. If you do not follow those laws, you are fined and/or put in prison. I think that affects your life.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:19 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Maybe on a spiritual level that's true, but on a practical level not so much.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:12 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• On a philosophical level, I suppose it's true. I don't believe in any god, so a god, not being real to me, cannot have an affect on my life.

However on a practical level, I can argue what witchqueen stated--"truth exists whether you believe in it or not."  How others impose their beliefs, which we do not share, in our daily lives does affect us, whether as a mere annoyance or amusement, or in some stronger way.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:58 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Disagree. the people who do believe greatly affect my life.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:05 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It applies to me.

Answer by older at 8:05 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• kind of like how ignorance is bliss?

Yes, there is certainly truth to that!

Dr. Donna, i think your arguments don't really hold up very well.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:43 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Truth exists whether you believe in it or not. Homosexuality, abortion, bigotry only affect your life insofar as your stubborn inability to let go of the control over them that you think you have, but that you can, actually, NEVER have. Truth doesn't care what you think. It just is.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:14 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I think that even if we don't believe something, or believe in something, it still can and does effect us, even in ways we might not be aware.

For example, I don't believe in abortion, and I know others believe in abortion but don't believe it kills 3,000 human beings per day, and other's don't believe the birth rate has declined, but it is effecting all of us US Citizens because taxes paid by workers will not be enough to pay the full benefit amounts scheduled for Social Security starting in 2037.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 1:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2010