Can one have faith and still be a non-Christian?

I think so. Non-Christians can still have faith that there is still good in people.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 8:17 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I don't see why not. We may not believe in invisible sky daddies living up in the heavens and watching every move we make, but we can still believe that there is an energy in the universe that keeps it going. When I make the claim of being a spiritual atheist, I am differentiating myself from fundamentalist atheism as someone who believes that there is more to the truth than we know yet. And I DO believe in truth. It is the only thing that stands on it's own, without help or support from anyone. It exists, even when you try to deny its existence.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:10 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I feel like you are complicating a couple of major issues. There are loads of other belief systems - Christianity is far from the only faith available. The other is confusing faith with a sense of morality. I know plenty of people with no faith at all who are incredibly ethical, moral and good. I also know plenty of believers who are hypocritical and lead very immoral lives (in my opinion). To sum up, I don't think faith=Christianity, I don't think faith=morality and I don't think all who claim Christian are moral.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:23 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I was once told by someone here that there is a difference between Faith and faith. Apparently, using a capital letter and attaching it to a religion and a god makes it somehow more significant and meaningful than the faith a non-believer has.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:23 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Of course. Faith does not = Christianity.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:40 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• i am muslim and i have faith in GOD , The Creator.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 8:41 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes. It just depends on what your faith is " in ".
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:21 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Absolutely!

Answer by older at 8:24 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• ya you can have faith in anything else.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:25 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Kind of a silly question in my opinion. What about religions like Buddhism, Hinduism and Islam? I'm guessing they probably have faith in something and maybe wonder the same thing about Christianity.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:26 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes, you can have faith and still be a non Christian. There are other faiths out there.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:43 AM on Oct. 25, 2010