Do you think...

dropping the bomb on Japan twice was any different than what the Germans did to the Jews?

as far as killing innocent civilians without regard?

keeping in mind there was a large dislike of anyone who was Japanese even if they had nothing to do with the war itself.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:36 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• War is ugly and there will always be civilian casualties.  Hitler killed for the sake of killing.  The bombs were dropped on Japan to stop them from waging war.  The difference between the two was intent.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:56 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It's very sad, but it was a hasty reaction to an undeserved, unexpected attack on Pearl Harbor. Many, many innocent lives were lost there as well. So no, I do not think it can in any way be compared to the mass genocide that occurred in Germany. I'm not saying it was right for the U.S. to bomb innocent Japanese citizens, but having family stationed at Pearl Harbor, I can understand the anger and fear that Americans were facing at that time. Unfortunately, this world has always had the view "guilt by association", but there were many Japanese spies living in the U.S.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:41 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes, it was sad and I see know reason for any country to even start this.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 9:13 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Thou shall not Kill seems pretty clear to me.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It stopped the war. It prevented far more deaths on both sides.

For those who quote the bible, don't leave out "an eye for an eye".
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:23 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Innocent people were killed in both situations. I understand that the bomb was in retaliation, but I am sure that does not make the families with lost loved ones feel any better on either side of the ocean. Hitler was mentally ill yet surrounded by enough zealots to try to make a "super race" and almost got away with it. I think the bomb was as a resort to hinder the war being waged, and the civilians are always the ones to suffer under government. The "scientific experiments" that Hitler ordered on human beings, such as lets peel off all his skin and see how long he lives, was just the sickest form of madness. I doubt he would have been happy once he had gotten his way...it would have moved on to something else...turning on "his own" I just hope that both of these atrocities will teach future generations what not to do...hey a girl can dream can't she?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2010