Vindictive newspaper?

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/10/24/gay.marriage.announcement.refused.wmur?iref=allsearch

I am well aware it is privately owned, but really do they really think this is a good business policy?

Asked by older at 8:36 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • It's not good business.   Financially, the decision could end up being a costly one.   People who don't agree with the it,  might stop buying the newspaper. Companies could stop advertising.  Other businesses will pull ads.   Print media, in general, is already having a hard time.   I think any decision that causes a business to lose money is absurd.

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 9:41 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Not printing an annoucement is really discriminatory and I fail to see why even a privately owned small circulation paper think they can get away with that. Stupid. Nasty.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:58 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Their choice
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:46 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• prove it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:55 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It might be good business in the deep south or the bible belt, but that's not going to make them much money where they are. Stupid move when newspapers are already struggling.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:58 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• And besides..it's their choice when privately owned. They are allowed to do what they want with their own company, like other newspapers who choose to only print the right wing news or the left wing news.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:02 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• When you have a product that more older people buy, you have to target the older buyer. And the younger populous favors gay relationships-they get their news online. Why produce a product that won't sell? Or will turn off your consumer? Once again Older your daily agenda and your daily hope of pushing this down our throats is in direct contradiction to what the free market allows a business to do. And,your daily liberal agenda also contradicts the business philosophy of producing a product and selling it to a targeted audience or buyer. Basically, Older, The newspaper buying audience does not show statistically that they favor seeing a gay marriage announcement whether YOU want them to or not.

Thus IMO it is NOT GOOD BUSINESS

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:45 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• oh...by the way....who says the "older population" does not want to see such things?What a lame stereotype. Hahaha. I am much older and I have no problem with seeing a Gay marriage announcement---get with the real world. Face facts. The "targeted audience" is not as conservative and bigoted as you think they are...hehe.It doesn't matter how old or how young a person is....what matters is whether or not they are kind,accepting and non-discriminatory.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• older, you asked if it was a good business policy to refuse to print the ad, right?  I said it was not good business , and why it was not from one financial viewpoint.   Why is that "hogwash?"

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 9:58 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• oh...by the way....who says the "older population" does not want to see such things?What a lame stereotype

Yup, My Mom isn't a bigot or a homophobe and she is 65! : )

Answer by sweet-a-kins 24 minutes
    ****************************
    YES! Good for her!
    I am 68 and I think young and I think in a non-bigoted, accepting way....why not? I have no patience with the Bible thumpers and the groups who decide that only certain types of people are "acceptable'.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:27 AM on Oct. 25, 2010