Do you have a 2nd fridge? If so, what is best, freezer on top or side by side?

I need the extra storage and we have room in the garage. Our main fridge has the freezer on the bottom with french doors. I'm leaning towards side by side for the extra freezer space, but not sure, thoughts?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 8:37 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I think it's best to look at cubic feet, rather than the set up. I prefer the freezer on one side, fridge on other, because I know that if I had a bottom one, stuff would get lost at the bottom.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 8:41 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• We have a second fridge, but it is older than the main fridge. We brought it with us when we moved. It's a regular freezer on the top version. I'm not sure what we'll get when it goes. We keep mainly soda, beer and extra milk in the fridge. The freezer is often full with the extras we buy or make.

I would take measurements and see what fits best in the available space. Our main fridge had to fit into a certain space, which limited our choices drastically. So we went with the freezer on top model. Has a decent space and their is water and ice available inside the fridge instead of the door like a side by side.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:44 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• We just have an extra freezer, that is where we always needed the extra space and they are not expensive at all. Then I can load up on things that are good prices.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• there was already an extra fridge in the garage when we moved in, it is just a regular one with the freezer on the top....I have to say that it hasnt been used yet though, maybe during the upcoming holidays it will be im sure. I agree with the other ladies...look at demensions..if you dont really need the extra fridge part and just the freezer get that instead.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• We had one in the laundry room, but I would forget what I put in there and have to throw it out. Got rid of it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:37 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• We have an extra refrigerator, but it's an older model that used to be our main kitchen fridge until we got a new french door style one. We use the old refrigerator for keeping drinks cold, storing extra milk and flour, etc. Basically stuff we use often & want to keep handy. I have a 17 cuft freezer too, so the only things we keep in the top freezer of the extra fridge is ice packs for lunches and camping. I'll use it for extra storage when I'm baking a lot, too. There's also an ice maker in there that we employ when we're expecting company.

If all you're wanting is extra freezer space, why not just get a freezer? Or if all you want is extra refrigerator space, you can buy refrigerators without a freezer. If you do want both, consider what you intend to store in it. Side-by-sides tend to have a very narrow storage space, so if you're thinking of picking up an extra turkey while they're cheap in November, it may not fit.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:10 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I have a smaller apartment size fridge for my 2nd fridge that hardly has a freezer. We also have a very large upright freezer for extra storage. But if I were to go with a new fridge, I'd measure it up. Literally. I'd go to a number of appliance stores with an idea in mind of what I would be storing in it and how those items would fit. I'd definitely measure up cubic space in the fridge along with the size of it to fit through my doorways.
    donnareedonLSD

Answer by donnareedonLSD at 5:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I have a regular fridge and a big stand up freezer
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2010