Do your children bully YOU?

I've raised my daughter alone since she was 5. My daughter was an only child with no friends, grandparents, dad. She depended on me for her community. Around 14 she started bullying me. I saw her rage as normal teen frustration; and started yelling back but eventually just left the house.
Her dad continued with a phone relationship (She elected not to see him since she was 11). These conversations were calm and abrupt (he'd just hang up) when she got 'out of line'.
Now she's a grown woman who seldom calls or writes. When she does its purpose is to start another argument or make an innuendo that either I'm an altruistic fool, angry person or someone who should be punished for disagreeing with her dad.
I realized that this 'bullying' has be going on for 10 years. Those feelings of low self worth were largely her doing because my depression has completely gone!
Are you a mom who get bullied by your child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• No, I refuse to let our boys disrespect me. We have a 14 yr old son, and he knows his boundaries. I think if you LET them get away with it, it is your fault for how they treat you. "You teach people how to treat you" So I think that if you had been more of a parent, than a pushover she would be in your life now, and respect you as a Mother, HER Mother...... I demand respect, if they don't give it there are consequences. So No our boys do NOT bully me, or their Dad.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:00 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Hell no. If she ever tried to disrespect me, her life would be living hell. My DD knows better....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:04 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• You must have allowed disrespect and this is why this happened. I have never being bullied by any of my three!

Answer by older at 9:27 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No but I feel for you, because they try...

Teens are very difficult and I don't care what any PARENT SAYS, there is an old saying. You can lead an animal to the water but it is up too them to drink....

Meaning, you can raise a child but they make their own path in the future. We give them the teaching tools, not everyone will follow our beliefs, do what we think is best, or respect us. I pray all the time my kids stay on a straight and narrow. Do the right thing, and not choose to do wrong. Kids are killing parents these days, and it is completely sick....

Sad part is your child or not. You should not allow the abuse, when it starts to get negative you end the conversation. Some people never change and some people are never, ever happy... Good luck!!!! Try to keep your head up and be proud of who you are...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• yes at times I do feel bullied by my dd she's 14..She does know better but she still tries to get away with it sometimes idk how in hell to deal with her..
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No...No. and again No! I"m the parent. Why would my children try and bully me? My children knew from the begining that there was no way in the world they could bully me or their father or get away with anything remotely related to disrespecting us...and they know NOT to talk back to us at all. But that's because they knew the rules from the beginning and they know how to respect those rules...Bullying me? I wish one of my 8 children would...huh, you're a more tolerant mother than me because that type of behavior I cannot deal with at all!
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• NO!!! If my son tried it he would not like the conequences. He has been taught RESPECT from the start and it is demanded, I take nothing less than respect. Parents must teach respect and give respect to get it. I raised my son on my own and there is no way I would have allowed the behaviors you are describing. When your daughter starts her crap, HANG UP!!! Do NOT deal with it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No I have raised my daughters to not only respect them selves but others as well, especially me..
    tericared

Answer by tericared at 9:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2010