At what age should you start to get rid of the "binkies"?

My daughter just turned 1 and only really uses her pacifier to sleep, but I want to kick the habit before it gets too late. Is this a good time to do it, or should I let it go for a little longer?

BDein1120

Asked by BDein1120 at 9:05 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's up to you and your daughter.

But I will say that my stepson used one until he was almost 4 years old. There's nothing more disgusting (sorry son, I love you, that binky wasn't my choice) than a almost 4 year old walking around with a pacifier.
    mwebb

Answer by mwebb at 9:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My daughter had hers taken away at 20 months...my son is 22 months and only uses it at bedtime, I hope to kick the habit by the time he is 2. If you and your daughter are comfortable let her have it longer...if you think she is ready and you are ready, take it away!! Its only a few bad days! I just cut the nipple off and told my daughter broke! She could even have it, because it really was broke :)
    ELC

Answer by ELC at 9:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Mine never had it.
    Anonymous

• i went to the dentist for my son a couple weeks ago and talked about this. she said to let them have the pacifier until about 2 or 3. and if you havent tried a pacifier, you should give it to your child if they suck on their thumb or other fingers. its better to have a pacifier for them to suck on (the ortho kind-playtex makes them) than their thumb. the pacifier prevents them from developing a thumb habit...you cant exactly take their thumb away but you can take the pacifier away at 2 or 3 and its VERY likely they wont develop a thumb habit after that.
    armywifeplus1

Answer by armywifeplus1 at 9:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My son was weaned off his when he was 8 mths.
    AdensMommy07

Answer by AdensMommy07 at 10:01 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Don't offer till they ask after 12 months is my policy, lol I ook ds paci at 13 months dd still has hers at soon to be 14 months, lol every child is different!
    eesmommy

Answer by eesmommy at 11:09 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My daughter's binki was taken away at one year. I slowly took it away during the day and then she only used it at night. I started with putting a favorite toy in her bed with her and her binki. Then I gave her one week to get use to the toy being in bed with her. The day of, we threw all the binkis in the garbage, together and said no more binkis, you're a big girl now. And that night she fussed a little bit when we put her to bed. the second night she didn't fuss at all. It was like she never had it. It's weird...I think we are more dependant on them than they are. I was so scared to take it way from her but I didn't want to have a child whose too old to be having a binki. I guess my answer is YES. Take it away now. It's not as bad as you think it will be. Throw them away so there will be no temptation. She will become dependent on it and it will be harder to take away the longer you wait.
    Taylor6

Answer by Taylor6 at 2:13 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I took my sons paci's when he turned 1. He was chewing on them more than sucking once his teeth came in. I just went through the house one day and threw them all away. He didn't even notice. Now he's a very easy going child so I would recommend keeping at least one on hand incase they don't adjust as well. They wouldn't let him have it at daycare so the only time he was using it was at night time but then I noticed he would come home and throw it out of his bed cause he didn't like it there. He would sometimes walk around the house with it and chew on it but if he had it we couldn't get him to talk so away they went. Good luck!
    rosie2484

Answer by rosie2484 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 30, 2008