first birthday

dd is turning one in dec. My MIL is HUGE over the top party person, and I'm not... She's gotten her way with wedding and baby shower and now I'm going to do things my way. We live five hours away from dhs family. So I would have to have two parties, and that's just not gonna happen. So I'm going to invite my mil and her mom to come down and I'm going to have a party with our parents and grandparents. Nothing fancy, nothing expensive, not renting out a room like my mil wants us too. So how can I tell ger my plans without causing a big fuss? She had her son, she got to do things how she wanted, and dd is my child, it's my turn.

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 9:25 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• There is a lot of resentment there. Do your party the way you choose. Maybe she will have her party when you visit her.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:31 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• just like you said amd then mail out the invites she can join or not her choice.... happy birthday little one!
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 9:32 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I agree with you 100%. It is your call. Tell them calmly and matter of factly. Stick to your guns. Get your DH involved too. I assume you have your DH's support on having the type of get together you want. I always felt that first and second birthdays are for the adults anyway. The kids can get overwhelmed. Be prepared with ideas for overnight accommodations for them. I don't mean you have to have them stay at your home, but have some ideas to suggest. It might get you a few points! Enjoy!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:32 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I would tell her exactly what your last sentence says.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:33 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• The first birthday is much more exciting for the parents/grantparents than the baby. Just take that into consideration. Tell the your mother WAY in advance & remind her until then, that you really want a small party.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:34 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• You tell HER what you are going to do not the other way around.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:44 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I agree with Shanna84, you tell her it is your turn to have things your way
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 9:44 AM on Oct. 25, 2010