Has anyone been on anti depressants when pregnant..I just got back on my meeds..lexapro and wanted to know if you could be pregnant on it...

jomama2467

Asked by jomama2467 at 9:34 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Health

• I haven't but I think some of them are safe.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:38 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I was on Lexapro when I got pregnant, but because I was high risk my doctor took me off immediately. I do not think you can take it in your last trimester - unknown risk to the fetus
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 9:51 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I assume your doctor knows that you take this regularly? ask your doctor hon.......
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:28 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No, most psychiatric medications are not safe to take during pregnancy. SSRI's have been known to cause heart defects. Your doctor will be able to tell you whether the risk outweighs the benefit.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I was on prozac when I was pregnant with my daughter. I stayed on it for a few months during my pregnancy and weaned myself off and she has had no health problems. Lexapro is a cat C, but turns into a Cat D in the last trimester. I was always leery about Cat C meds and stayed away from Cat D. But the pros and cons and any alternative treatments are something you will have to discuss with your doctor.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:57 PM on Oct. 25, 2010