When your toddler wakes up do they.....

scream? my 2 1/2 yr old screams EVERY time he wakes up and screams for like 20mins after. I dont know how to get him to stop. He always knows were i am andhe knows he can come to me when he wakes up i just dont understand why he still does this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have day care in my home and I've always had at least one in the group that does this. It's normal and they do grow out of it so don't worry. Every child is different but some of the ways I would try to help him/her would be to hug them until they are truly awake or sit them next to me so they can adjust to what's going on around them. Sometimes they just want to be able to see you but not be touched or talked to. Try to figure out what calms them down, a blanket a special show on TV or whatever. Good luck
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Sometimes my 2 year old will cry when he wakes. My daughter is 4 almost 5 and sometimes she will scream...maybe they had a bad dream or are disoriented and do not realize they are in there room. Maybe make a bed on the floor next to yours and show it to him and say if you wake up and are afraid just come in mommy's room and lay down.
    ELC

Answer by ELC at 9:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• One of my boys did that, and horribly, I cant remember which one!! I can't believe I don't remember. Anyway...... I did just what happy2bme7 said.... I'd hold him and sing or put his favorite show on tv. I'd get him some chocolate milk and he usually calmed down quickly.
    Anonymous

• My son did for awhile, I finall just would g in when I knew he would be waking and sit right beside him, he soon stopped and doesn't scream any more. I think its a pase.
    eesmommy

Answer by eesmommy at 11:01 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Sometimes if my son wakes in the middle of the night he will scream and scream until I go in there then he asks for a drink and lays down, but when he wakes up from his nap he is a monster, like he def woke up on the wrong side of the crib. he screams and throws toys, refuses a drink of water, he just gets testy. I dont know why he does this
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:26 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I thought my son was the only one who did this. He will wake up in the middle of the night screaming bloody murder. The only one who can get him back to sleep is his dad. He also wakes up every morning this way. He screams for at least 20 minutes. I usually have to just patiently wait it out and then he cuddles with me.
    Overwhelmed28

Answer by Overwhelmed28 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 30, 2008