Does anyone have a toddler/child that rocks or rocked?

My son has a body rocking habit, mostly at bedtime, I am wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this? When do you intervene? How long did it last? He also likes to rock front and back when seated in a high chair and car seat.

ELC

Asked by ELC at 9:16 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• dont do anything.. let him do it.. it might comfort him.. its normal my daughter does it when shes happy or enjoying something..
    Anonymous

• I have had this my whole life... I mean some night when I am restless or dont feel well ( time of the month ) I will rock. it helps me go to sleep. i think it is because I was rocked to sleep until the age of 2. Now i have a 16 month old daughter that I rocked until 9 months and i have not seen any signs of her doing it. Sorry this is not much help, I would just not worry about it unless it gets out of control. Good luck
    amanda32822

Answer by amanda32822 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Alot of people make comments about it, I feel it is fine, he is not doing it all day long or anything. I just wondered about it, because everyone I know has never experienced this before :)
    ELC

Answer by ELC at 9:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• my cousin's baby did this, and still does at 3 1/2. one of her dr's commented that it's from nervousness about something, but she mostly does it when she's tired. we started calling them her "butt flexes" (that's what she's doing) and she even calls them that now. when she was younger it was like she tightened up all of her body muscles, then released them and i think that's how she "rocked" herself to sleep.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 10:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I heard it can be noe CAN BE an arly sign of ADD or ADHD nothing proven, but was suggested to a mother friend of mine hen her son was 3 he is 11 now and has adhd big time, but another friend's daughter rocked till she was 4 and she's fine, ask the ped they should be able to help you.
    eesmommy

Answer by eesmommy at 11:06 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My son doesn't rock, but he does have other stims. (Flapping hands, twirling in circles, speech stims). As long as he's not hurting himself or others, it's perfectly fine, and actually comforting to them. I let my son express himself in any way he wants.
    theallens1102

Answer by theallens1102 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My son also does this to go to sleep. EVERY time he goes to sleep. I am not sure though if it is keeping him up longer from doing it. I know it does relax him but it seems like it takes him forever to fall asleep. Is there anything I can do for that?
    noahsmommy0710

Answer by noahsmommy0710 at 8:10 PM on Sep. 19, 2009