Tummy Sleeping...

My son is 2 weeks old and will ONLY sleep on his stomach... If we put him on his back he SCREAMS! On his stomach he sleeps for 3-4 hours. He is in the bassinet no blankets or pillows... I just can't relax about this! HELP!

tealsangel

Asked by tealsangel at 9:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• none of my 3 kids would sleep any way but their tummies.

when they were small like your son, I would constantly check on them

my pedi said it was OK as long as I did a few "tests" - when your son is sleeping on his tummy, tickle his cheek - if he can turn his head away from the tickle, he would be able to move if his breathing is disruptive.

the daycare would not let my kids sleep on their tummies until they rolled over to it themselves.
    Anonymous

• My son was the same way! And my pediatrician scared the crap out of me with horror stories. So for the first 5 months ( till he rolled over) I woke up every 2 hrs and checked his breathing! He is now 6 months and sleeps only on his belly!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• my daughter would sleep on her back at night, but once she woke up in the morning she only wanted to sleep on her belly. i used to wake up with her in the morning then after i fed her she'd go back to sleep on me, her tummy to my tummy. we'd sleep like that on the couch, if she moved at all i'd be able to feel her. she always had good control of her head and started rolling over early. during the day for her naps i'd lay her on a blanket on the floor and i'd constantly be checking on her. now that she's started rolling over when i lay her down at night, i go ahead and put her on her belly. she usually doesn't wake up then and stays asleep better.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 10:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I wouldn't relax either... it's not safe. Do you really want to risk it, I know I couldn't live with myself if something ever happened to my son that I could have prevented. Put him on his back, swaddled tight. He will learn to sleep on his back.
    Other moms on here will say that their baby slept on their tummy and were just fine... but talk to just one mom of a SIDS baby and it's enough to keep your baby on it's back.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I would just keep trying 2 put him on his back. Hes only 2 weeks, he'll eventually fall asleep. Thats all newborns do is sleep. Plus u dont wanna have 2 worry about it constantly checking on him, u'll lose your mind that way.
    Klomas1988

Answer by Klomas1988 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My daughter is a tummy sleeper, has been since day 1. If I lay her on her back to sleep she will wake in a matter of minutes but lay her on her tummy an she will sleep for hours.
    pudinangel

Answer by pudinangel at 6:34 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• if your child can move his head back and forth.. and like the first poster said.. move his head away from the tickle on his cheek.. then you should be fine. Just make sure there is NOTHING in his crib that could push up against his nose and mouth and suffocate him. Loose bedding is a big no-no too. I would watch his arms too.. loose clothing can press up against the face if his arms are up, but some kids won't sleep with their arms down. My DD is the same way.. and we found out it was from a medical reason.. she had an artery wrapped around her esophagus and sleeping on her belly made it easier for her to breathe
    -PS- Don't let all the other moms make you feel bad if you choose to let your son sleep on his belly either.. twenty years ago all babies slept on their bellies, and we turned out just fine :)
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:04 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I have a similar problem only my daughter is 2 months old. She will NOT sleep on her back no matter how hard I try to get her to. Infact she sleeps on my chest most nights. I feel bad letting her sleep on her belly because like you I am scared but lets be honest...the mothers who write things like "do you really wanna risk it" (which makes you feel like utter crap) have never had to suffer through this kinda thing. I wish you all the luck in the world!
    LSween

Answer by LSween at 9:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2008