scared of side effects

im 18 weeks pregnant with my third child and have been so wonderfully blessed with the worst possible morning sickness. its been so bad that i lost over 20 pounds in less then a month and had to go to the er twice. the only meds that seem to work is ZOFRAN wich is what they give people going through chemo. im scared of what kind of side effects it might have on me and the baby. ive talked to my midwives about it and they arent really sure because they havnt had anyone on it so long.
has anyone else been on it for a significant amount of time before that might know?

momslikeme366

Asked by momslikeme366 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• One of my close friends was on it her entire pregnancy. She lost 25 lbs in her first trimester she was throwing up so much the acids from her stomach were starting to damage her teeth and esophagus.
    Once she started taking it, her pregnancy progressed normally. If it were me, I would eat some pot before I would take pharmaceuticals, but I do know that the side effect profile for zofran is fairly benign.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:27 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• ask your ob, zofran is normally easily tolerated during pregnancy
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:30 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I took Zofran for many months with my second pregnancy. It does tend to give you headaches, and it can make you horribly constipated. However it was the only thing that helped me to keep food down! I do not know of any side effects on baby, my daughter was born at 42+ weeks, 8 lbs 9 oz, perfectly healthy.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:34 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• thank you so much everyone, it really makes me feel better.
    momslikeme366

Comment by momslikeme366 (original poster) at 10:39 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• i was on it for my 3rd pregnancy and my son is fine.and healthy 8lbs 7 ozs and he was a week late .i was sick the whole pregnancy in and out the hospital for fluids..
    honesty33

Answer by honesty33 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I also took it. I had to. I was also sick for my whole pregnancy. I had no side effects. It really does work.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2010