i want to make chilli

my dh doesnt want it to be chunky with tomatos..i would like it to be a little spicy..what do you suggest i use to sub for diced tomatos and to give my chili a nice spicey kick? not too hot..i want my son to be able to eat it...just a nice zing to it rather than the tomato taste

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Use tomato sauce instead of diced tomatoes. Add chili powder and cumin. Add a little, then tast, add more till you get it where you like it. You could also take some out for your son when it's mild, then add more seasoning for the adults. You can also just put some hot sauce on the table so each person can add the hotness they like.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:28 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• When I make chili I use chili beans and I add a jar of salsa to the chili. Both give it flavor and a bit of spice.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:07 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Tomato sauce works well, in fact I switched to tomato sauce when my kids were younger, and that's the way we all like it now. I use garlic, cumin, and 2 or three kinds of chili powder. plus pepper in my chili. The chili powders can be mild, for flavor, they don't have to be hot.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:08 AM on Oct. 25, 2010