When making a whole chicken, do you need to defrost it first??

& If so, is leaving it out the only way to defrost? About how long do you think it would take to defrost a 6lb chicken? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You aren't supposed to leave them out on the counter to thaw, although I have. I usually plan ahead and put them in the fridge a day or two before, if it isn't totally defrosted, a sink full of cold water will move it along pretty quickly. also you can put it in the microwave on defrost, although sometimes the legs start to cook.

Cooking it in the crockpot from frozen is not safe, it stays too long at a warm but not hot enough temperature in the center....according to the nutritionist I took a class from. I have boiled them from frozen and it seemed to be fine (I don't know if this is recommended thought. Roasting it from frozen...again I don't know if this is recommended for safety, but I wouldn't recommend it. The outside cooks too fast, and the inside too slow.....it also takes forever.

Best way is to plan ahead and defrost in the fridge.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:05 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes, because the inside won't cook correct and the outside will burn.

I would say a few hours, 5-6 being it is a hole chicken it might take a bit longer...

Good luck!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• best to defrost in cool water or over night in the refridge'......and to get all the meat done without over cooking the white meat....ya...best to have it all defrosted,

now I take out the chicken kidneys too when washing the bird....they are in the spinal area and I don't like the smell...especially in the soup I make right after roasting....
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:06 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• You need to let it defrost it or it may not get do in the middle without getting to done everywhere else. I would let it defrost overnight,
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 10:08 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I would thaw it before cooking so that you get a done inside without a burnt outside. You can thaw it in the fridge, but it takes days for mine to thaw all the way. I run them under cold water to thaw them. You can run cold water in the cavity to help speed it up too. Hot water is faster, but increases the risk of bacteria since it raises the food temp into the danger zone.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:14 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes it must be defrosted.
    Quick method to defrost, is place in running cold water. It will take a few hours according to the side of the bird. I typically let them defrost in the refrigerator for two days before use.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:16 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Defrosting at a cold temperature (in the fridge) will give you the least chance of food poisoning and will allow for even cooking.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:23 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It will take about 24 hours to defrost in the refrigerator. Do not defrost on the counter unless theres comesone coming to dinner you really don't like. You can defrost in cold running water-about 3-4 hours. You can cook it from frozen state if you put it in a baking dish and cover with foil and secure the foil tightly. It will take a much longer time to cook, (normal time would be about 3 hours-if frozen-about 4 hours). and you have to check the inside to make sure it is thoroughly cooked. At the end of baking, you can remove the foil so it will brown and crisp the skin.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:26 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• You can cook it from frozen, but you lose a lot of opportunity to season, you do have to be more careful, use a meat thermometer to make sure you reach the proper internal temperature. If you want to cook from frozen, cook it breast side down for a couple hours to get the juices into the breast, then flip it over and put several strips of bacon over the breast to prevent the skin from burning.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:08 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Absolutely, if you want to be able to chew it once it's cooked. Just toss it in the sink, fill with hot water, let sit for a couple hours. It will be just fine.
    To cook, place in roasting pan, smear with butter & your favorite spices, pour a can of chicken broth on it, place in 425-450 oven for about half hour, to crisp the outside and seal all the juices in. Cover, add your favorite veggies (we usually do carrots, potatoes and onions, cut into big chunks) turn down heat to 350 or so, and bake for another 1.5-2 hours. The chicken will melt off the bone.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:28 AM on Oct. 25, 2010